James Boags Whizard Smith English Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
i got back from tassie a week ago tried this brew at the brewery over there just wondering if anyone in adelaide has seen it for sale im looking to get some cheers ben

very nice beer, had a couple of kegs of it at the latest hopsters meeting in hobart.

only problem is its very overcarbonated for an english bitter. its at lager level carbonation.

tastes great though, lovely colour and malt profile and loads of EKG flavour. sadly lacking in aroma a touch though.

i got back from tassie a week ago tried this brew at the brewery over there just wondering if anyone in adelaide has seen it for sale im looking to get some cheers ben
im a new brewer sounds like your abit more advanced then me they said would have a limited release in aus hope i can find some

Just purchased some of this today at Dan Murphy's Welland (Adelaide), seen it at other smaller bottle shops too.

$17 for a 6 pack at Dan's. Small review to follow in about 10 minutes when I imbibe.

Edit:

Forgot I have hayfever at the moment and can't really smell/taste that much.... aaaaanyway.

Poured it at ale temperature and got a glass of head... expected :) Can't smell much. Taste is killed a bit by the fizz, but theres some nice toffee and biscuit in there, as well as some english hoppyness. Medium body and bitterness.

Definitely isnt a swiller, could easily have a few of these in an evening and be happy though. Pity about the carbonation (and the runny nose).

Voosher and I tried some of this early this week.
It's a nice beer, a good wack of E.K. Goldings on the nose and tongue.
It does finish very dry though and it is very heavily carbonated for the style.
A reasonable amount of crystal malt gives it some depth but it could be better.
Definitely something I could drink but it's a bit expensive for what it was.

Bought one this arvo at 1st Choice (along with a couple of Mountain Goat brews). Haven't tried it yet, but I think I might just pop the top off it now...

Cheers,
Michael. :)

They had it on tap at the shoreline hotel when I was there for dinner a couple of weeks ago, wasn't game enough to try it, I can barely drink most boags slops. although strongarm bitter is OK, just not readily available even down here.

I tried it the other day and was pretty disappointed. I was expecting more for some reason (maybe because I didnt see the james boags logo till I opened it :p). May I got a bung bottle or something but there was very little taste or aroma. Just taste like any old megaswill, flavourless amber fizz..

Bought one this arvo at 1st Choice (along with a couple of Mountain Goat brews). Haven't tried it yet, but I think I might just pop the top off it now...

Cheers,
Michael. :)

Hmmm - disappointing. Next to no malt character, very little hop flavour and no noticable hop aroma. For a beer that claims in big bold lettering on the label to be dry hopped with EKG, I was surprised that there was nothing on the nose.

Actually reminded me of the VB Old-Style Amber Ale that was available a few months back.....

Glad I only bought one bottle.

Cheers,
Michael :)

Yeah, this is a diappointing example of the style, way too dumbed down, I prefer the Holdgate ESB as far as locally made "bitters" go

Yeah, this is a diappointing example of the style, way too dumbed down, I prefer the Holdgate ESB as far as locally made "bitters" go

I tasted it in Hobart at the hopsters meeting where it was unveiled. I had a sip and I thought it was tasteless. Way overcarbonated and served at ~2 degrees. What the hell?

I let it warm up in my hands for a while (and in the process it lost some carbonation), and it was a little better, but not anything I'd waste my money on. The hops are really subtle (can only really taste them on the way back up when you burp, which is no what you'd want), and the finish is too dry. I think it uses a fair chunk of adjuncts too, as I found the flavour lacking. Either that or it's fermented with a very neutral yeast at a cold (ale) temperature.

For your light-pseudo-pils-indoctrinated average joe probably not too bad a drop. For anyone who's tasted malt and hops before... not anything I'd ever pay for.

MFS

I tried a six pack with my Dad and brother in law over the weekend. As said by others, it was a little dumbed down to the lager drinker market. Not bad when warmed up (I left it in the car for an hour and a bit before drinking) and decarbonated (poured half glasses and swirled continuously for a few mins). Very mild interpretation of the style. No yeast character at all, probably brewed with lager yeast and lagered before filtering, pasteurising, etc. Definitely a little malt flavour and a trace of EKG. Not bad but not brewed for us.

I tried a six pack with my Dad and brother in law over the weekend. As said by others, it was a little dumbed down to the lager drinker market. Not bad when warmed up (I left it in the car for an hour and a bit before drinking) and decarbonated (poured half glasses and swirled continuously for a few mins). Very mild interpretation of the style. No yeast character at all, probably brewed with lager yeast and lagered before filtering, pasteurising, etc. Definitely a little malt flavour and a trace of EKG. Not bad but not brewed for us.

According to the brewer it is indeed brewed with an ale yeast at ale temperatures. I presume it's something akin to Wyeast 1056 at the very low end of its range.

MFS

According to the brewer it is indeed brewed with an ale yeast at ale temperatures. I presume it's something akin to Wyeast 1056 at the very low end of its range.

MFS

Ah K. Very neutral yeast then. 1056 or Nottingham maybe? I picked up no interest from the yeast at all, although I presume the filtering and cooking of the beer would have stripped a good deal of whatever yeast character there may have been in there.

I was in Launie mid August for the Hawks v Pt Adel game and tried some, I thought it was ok and would buy it again, however being new experience is everything and I'd definately call myself a novice.

Went on the brew tour, and loved the story about how the Wizard Smith name came to being.

Apparently, he used to tend the horses in the early days, during a big flood, rode his bike and swam to the stables to get the horses out (by the time he got there apparently they were up to their shoulders in floods). Once he got them out and safely to high ground the board/management at the time decreed that Wizard had a job for life and under no certain terms was to be sacked. Apparently he continued to work at the Brewery for another 30+ years.

Love or loathe the beer, cool story..... :party:

...and Pig's Fly Pale Ale is named after the brewery's magical flying pig... :rolleyes:

I think the story that they should print on the label goes something like this.

One day Boags marketers noticed that micro-brewery and 'craft' beer was getting more popular, so they decide to create a high profit/low cost beer to tap into this market.

I tried it over the weekend, if it was the same price as any other Boags six pack, I'd probably drink it every once in a while, but at nearly $20 a 6 pack I expect something a lot better

One day Boags marketers noticed that micro-brewery and 'craft' beer was getting more popular, so they decide to create a high profit/low cost beer to tap into this market.

I think that's a pretty cynical attitude. Boags have been making seasonal beers for some time now, as do many breweries. They have to appeal to the broadest demographic in order to sell the whole run each time they release one. I think they're targeting the palates of the "unbeerducated" masses. Fair enough. They have a greater obligation to their shareholders than they do to beer, unfortunately. Do you think they should abort the whole seasonal program or make beers that won't sell out?

I had this beer the other night at our presentation dinner & even after a skin full of other craft beers I got plenty of English hop aroma. The beer lacked a bit of depth, but drunk warm, it wasn't a bad drop at all. It deserves a far better rap IMHO than some of you guys are giving it. Try drinking it at proper ale temp & evaluate it then....

cheers Ross

I agree Ross,
got a 6'er yesterday and thought it was quite ok.

Latest posts

Back