I've Just Had A Vb Out Of Necessity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate bought a carton of VB and I helped him drink it. He hasnt drunk it for years and was suprised at actually how good it was. Way better then when the diluted it

The hirachy at CUB reckoned that the diluted version was almost identicle. i beg to differ, i recently bought the old version, my missus only got 2/3 the way through and passed if off to the beer drain(me.hehe). last week i bought the new version after seeing it won beer of show - the missus downed the full stub, and i noticed a big improvement in the beer. though i must question beer of show, must be one of those cash for comment thingys..

The beer isn't really hoppy - it has no additions, actual hop or otherwise designed to give it hop aroma.

What I guess it is - is that since you've been homebrewing, you've started taking a LOT more notice of how your beer actually tastes, than you were the last time you were knocking over a VB and you're noticing the fact that VB is chock a block full of fruity esters. Not really any specific ones, just a mix up that gives the beer a distinctive fruit salad type aroma.

Its actually quite a similar fruit aroma profile (in character, not intensity) to what you get from many of the newish fruity australian and new zealand hops and maybe your brain has decided to bunch the ester aromas in the VB into the same sensory box??

Like it or hate it - VB is very estery for a mega lager, I'd say thats what you're noticing.

TB

The VB at the club up the road now sports new fonts announcing that it's back to the old recipe. I had a schooner while I was doing my fortnightly pokies thing, then another, then one for the road. Still has that mouse piss twang that I don't really object to - it's a bit like caraway seed as well - but what impressed me was that it was quite flavoursome and refreshing. Possibly the version on tap is a bit fresher tasting than the bottled and canned variety, but I didn't mind it as a pokies lubricator.

On a side off topic note - I've been a poker machine technician for 10 years now, if there's anything you want to know about them feel free to ask.

No, they cannot be rigged.

On a side off topic note - I've been a poker machine technician for 10 years now, if there's anything you want to know about them feel free to ask.

How can i increase my odds on winning?

How can i increase my odds on winning?

1. Don't play them

2. You can't. HOWEVER - If you want a better chance of a small-decent win from free games or whatever, play a machine that doesn't have a progressive or linked jackpot/s (normally displayed on the top screen of the machine).

Reason is, all machines have an RTP = a return to player percentage. This normally sits around 89-92% (over a period of time, not necessarily 89-92% back to you personally.) But, if the machine has a progressive jackpot as well, this also has to factor into the same overall RTP of 89-92%, so the base game RTP will be around 9% lower, around 81%. This means less wins from the game itself. If that makes sense.

3. Almost every single big win I've seen, over 5 grand, has been from a Indian Dreaming or Shogun 2 or 3.

Dont particularly like VB in the stubbie, but on tap, I reckon it's pretty good.Do the Fat Yak fans realize that Fat Yak comes off the same CUB lines as VB/Crown etc...

Dont particularly like VB in the stubbie, but on tap, I reckon it's pretty good.Do the Fat Yak fans realize that Fat Yak comes off the same CUB lines as VB/Crown etc...

And a big mac gets cooked on the same hotplate as a cheeseburger. They both still taste crap, but different.

The funny thing is that when we used to do blind beer tastings before I was homebrewing (get 20ish random beers varying from good craft stuff to megaswill) VB always used to rank far higher than we would have guessed - rather embarressing considering how much we used to bash it before hand. From memory Melbourne Bitter was usually last, although to be fair past about beer 12 most people's writing on the score card was indecipherable...

all machines have an RTP = a return to player percentage. This normally sits around 89-92% (over a period of time, not necessarily 89-92% back to you personally.) But, if the machine has a progressive jackpot as well, this also has to factor into the same overall RTP of 89-92%, so the base game RTP will be around 9% lower, around 81%. This means less wins from the game itself. If that makes sense.
You mean they can only be rigged in a specific way at time of manufacture?

It was rubbish before.. And it's still rubbish.
Talking of which, got given a case of crown from work....
I think I might re-gift that

Off topic but a few machines now have four or more games pre loaded, which you choose from a front screen. So if the RTP is for the machine itself, then I assume it doesn't matter which one you pick to play?

On topic. You know what I really like? A sandwich loaded with ham, avocado and Kewpie mayo and made on Tip Top or Wondersoft or some other supermarket $3 variety.

Now all the latte sipping Tarquins and Alistairs who only eat Chiabatto or Sourdough or Pane di Casa would sneer at garbage bogan Tip Top. However it is a very well made and consistent product made using the Choreleywood process which can turn out millions of loaves to exact specs and - like VB - is also the choice of millions. In fact Alistair would be appalled to learn that a lot of bread in France is now being made using this process. Sacre Bleu.

My VB at the club is my Tip Top and my Marathon Dim Sims and my Maccas.Long live free choice. Hey double cheeseburgers are only 2 bucks currently. Might scoff a couple in the car park then hit the VB to wash them down. Burp.

You mean they can only be rigged in a specific way at time of manufacture?

Well.. define 'rigged'. Their RTP can be changed at any time the venue wants it to, its just there's a lot of red tape to go through to get it done. When/if the RTP does get changed its normally up not down, due to the machine not being popular enough.

Off topic but a few machines now have four or more games pre loaded, which you choose from a front screen. So if the RTP is for the machine itself, then I assume it doesn't matter which one you pick to play?

Correctomundo.

On topic, all this talk about VB strangely makes me want to have a VB, but that's possibly because I haven't had a beer in 3 days now and anything would do right now!!

However it is a very well made and consistent product
Why do so many people here lean on process to justify their entirely pedestrian preferences? Aren't we supposed to be craftsmen? What's impressive about machines and computers doing the same thing over and over? That's the only thing they can do. Tip Top tastes like nothing. It is shit bread. I love the taste of Industrialisation in the morning.

VB may be consistent (although this thread suggests that it clearly isn't the Rock of Gibraltar everyone claims it to be) but shouldn't we have much higher standards than repeatability alone? I dunno, maybe I'm just weird - I don't find McDonald's variety of repeatability comforting either.

Pokies are brilliant.

I never play them but I love the extra tax imposted on the mathematically ignorant.

Statistically, I've taken more cash from pokies than I've lost to them.

Can say that very confidently since I prolly go to them barely once a year.

On VB, I'll have to try some. Been a while.

Why do so many people here lean on process to justify their entirely pedestrian preferences? Aren't we supposed to be craftsmen? What's impressive about machines and computers doing the same thing over and over? That's the only thing they can do. Tip Top tastes like nothing. It is shit bread. I love the taste of Industrialisation in the morning.

VB may be consistent (although this thread suggests that it clearly isn't the Rock of Gibraltar everyone claims it to be) but shouldn't we have much higher standards than repeatability alone? I dunno, maybe I'm just weird - I don't find McDonald's variety of repeatability comforting either.

While I find the mainstream lager/swill bashing on here pretty tedious (I have a headache now from sharing longnecks of MB with work colleagues yesterday eve) I agree with this.

So what if a massive production line is able to produce the same product week in week out? Consistency is only worth something if it's consistently good, not consistently bland.

Defend the product for better reasons other than "it's exactly the same as it was last time I tried it and lots of other people like it so it must be good".

It's not good. It's consistent, ester laden and well marketed and refreshing when served really, really cold. That and it's masculine/tradie image make it somehow a tough drink. I'll drink it in context but if repeatability is the main aim of the game, then you'll find it easily enough by dumbing everything down. That's why popular culture in terms of music and film take no risks anymore.

My name is not Alistair and I too sometimes eat shit white bread.

Vic Bitter, I was always one step behind you..................

Back