Its Megaswill Clone Time Again!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Just planning my next 3-4 brews and it will soon be lager time at Stew's Brews. This years line up will be a repeat of last year (Aussie Megaswill + Euro Green Bottle/Grolsch/Bitburger) with another tasteless one (Corona) added. I have however moved onto Extract/Partials so I should be able to have a bit more control this time. Will probably all use the Danish lager yeast, pilsener extract, and do a minimash with about 1kg of base malt.

Without wanting to set off the usual shit-storm of 'why would you bother' blah blah has anyone got any pearls re: the Aussie megaswill thing? I have looked through the Recipe DB and old threads (thanks to Batz for some inspiration). Came across this on another site and it seems on the money?

Recipe for any of them:
-OG = 1.042 (or 1.060 if you want to high gravity brew for authenticity)
-FG = 1.006
-soft water
-30% sucrose
-2 row well-modified lager malt
-encourage fermentability via 63-65C rests with pH ~ 5.2 @ mash temp.
(no protein rest!)
-Step infusion mash.
-Fermentation - pitch at 14C, allow to rise up to 18C
-Choice of yeast critical. Fosters use their own strain. Some yeasts
won't ferment well with this much sucrose and will either stick and/or
produce truckloads of acetaldehyde. Try Wyeast Danish lager.
Addition of a yeast nutrient (nitrogen) is wise with so much sucrose
-22 IBU with pride of ringwood hops (any high alpha will do)
-no hop flavour or aroma
-No diacetyl.
-Serve so cold you can't taste how vile it really is, and don't forget
to hold your nose...

Any comments? Soft water the go in terms of water chemistry? 30% sucrose OK?

Planning to use homegrown POR which I picked and dried last week.

throw some cluster at your megaswill late for a little flavour and aroma....works a treat. about .5-.6 gm a litre at 5 minutes.

everyone Ive had try this with POR for bittering loves it.

I would never go 30% sugar.

One I've made many times is follow the CPA recipe by AndrewQld, and wack in some Nugget or Cluster late. The late addition is not true to style but the mega-swillers accept it no problems, and it's a great way to introduce them to the flavour world.

Don't use the CPA yeast and use S189 for a nice ferment.

QldKev

I would never go 30% sugar.

One I've made many times is follow the CPA recipe by AndrewQld, and wack in some Nugget or Cluster late. The late addition is not true to style but the mega-swillers accept it no problems, and it's a great way to introduce them to the flavour world.

Don't use the CPA yeast and use S189 for a nice ferment.

QldKev

If not 30% how much do you use? I've only gone as high as 10% so far. Any more just weems wrong but I really should keep going

Back