Its Berlinner Weisse - Interesting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting some pre bought Berlinner Weisse wort.
Its close to kegging now, and I gave my mate a taste of a warm sampler. Jeez its sour!
I rememember my old man (Berliner) introducing me to this beer when I was about 15.
He mixed it with Ribena, and it was lovely.

Whilst researching I came across what Napoleon called it, "Champagne of the North" -> .
Apparently this was the most drunk beer in Berlin before WW1.

Then, I found this interesting article describing what might be the origins of how it was made.
https://www.bucketboys.com.au/blogs/news/style-of-the-month-berliner-weisse

I have ordered 2 syrups to go with my 32 litres of beer ( comes from germany and was made for soda steam !!!)
Waldmesieter and Rasperry.

Looking forward to drink it, and experiment with my mates

I've never drunk one, but I feel the urge to change that soon. @krz Where did you buy your wort from and are there any commercial examples you would recommend?

I had my first a few weeks ago, brewed by Wayward Brewing Co. in Annandale/ Camperdown (Sydney).
The champagne analogy is spot on and I thought it was seriously fantastic.
I was so impressed I went back to my local bottle shop for more of it and their other work but it wasn’t there - must be tough getting in stores with so much competition.
It really highlights the scope of what can be achieved brewing.

3 Ravens Acid is a really nice commercial straight Berliner weisse. Re syrups, steer clear of woodruff - I made that mistake once and once only in Berlin.

I've never drunk one, but I feel the urge to change that soon. @krz Where did you buy your wort from and are there any commercial examples you would recommend?
Bought the wort from Keg King

OK, First sampler tonight, I tasted it straight.
As Lobby Lobster said, "It does taste like Champagne".
For those of you that have never tasted a Berliner Weisse. You are missing out on something quite "not normal".
This weekend Im trying it out on my friends (and their girlfiriends).
Pretty sure it will be a success :)

This weekend Im trying it out on my friends (and their girlfiriends).
Pretty sure it will be a success :)

Update:
Samplers all reckoned it was awesome, and all of them said it was like champagne.
We tasted it straight, with syrups raspberry and woodroff. The girls like the raspberry.
I'm holding on to a keg for when it gets super hot. Its a refreshing drink.

Latest posts

Back