Ist Dubbel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
Greetings,

Looking at putting together a big Dubbel for my old man . He's had first hand experience with the real stuff a few decades back, and may have summoned up the courage to have another crack by now.

I'm looking at using ( for 23l ) 3kg of LDME , 0.3kg carapils and 1kg belgian candi sugar for an OG of somewhere between 1065 and 1070.

Has anyone got suggestions on the hop additions and yeast type to keep it close to style?
My closest LHBS is 750km away, and overnight express satchels can take between 1-4 days to arrive here from a capital city, so dried yeast may be the most sensible option.

Please sort out my basic bill of materials if I'm off track, as well.

Thanks in advance.

Distance is a tyranny, but you would want to try to get your hands on a nice belgian liquid yeast to really get this one going (lots of nice yeast driven esters and flavours). I know Ross/Craftbrewer (no affiliation, just a happy customer) pack their liquid yeast very well and you can have techni ice (fancy little ice cubes for transport) added to help keep the yeast in good shape. I had some delivered down to melbourne, arrived nice and cool!

Heres what the BJCP say about the Dubbel:

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category18.php#style18B

Seems Styrian Goldings is a common hop.

Anyway, good luck with it.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Latest posts

Back