Issues with gluten free beer - Briess Sorghum Extract.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mckenry said:
I ended up pitching another yeast. It's going very slowly at 20. Absolutely no krausen either. Second yeast was just sprinkled on unhydrated. We will see what happens.
This is going terribly. Still at 1.030 - OG 1.039. WTF?

Yep, the gluten free beer I did for my sister took about 3&1/2 weeks to ferment out and it was 6 or 7 points off estimated final gravity. Was a real pain in the arse.

If I was going to use the sorghum extract I would add yeast nutrient.

But my sister is only gluten intolerant so I am interested in using the white labs clarity ferm which all apparently drops a lot of the gluten particles out of normal beer. I'll make a batch with that and see if it agrees with her.

How long has it been? 4-5 days?

Mine took 3 weeks to go from OG 1.050 to FG 1.012 with US-05 at 18°C. Maybe wait a few more days to see if the SG drops a bit more? Finished about 3 points above est FG, so wasn't too bad.

Cheers boys. Never read any lit saying it would take so long. So it's been 5 days. I assumed it would be like a normal extract seeing as the blurb bangs in about being equal to malt extract etc. It bubbled quite well after a longer than expected lag, but stopped quite suddenly after that. I'll let my hydro do the talking. Check again on Saturday and see where we r at. What a PITA.

mckenry said:
Cheers boys. Never read any lit saying it would take so long. So it's been 5 days. I assumed it would be like a normal extract seeing as the blurb bangs in about being equal to malt extract etc. It bubbled quite well after a longer than expected lag, but stopped quite suddenly after that. I'll let my hydro do the talking. Check again on Saturday and see where we r at. What a PITA.
SG made it to 1.009 - So, it'll get there, just slowly. Hydrometer sample tastes OK. Thinking it might benefit from a bit of dry though.

Latest posts

Back