iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

Thanks for posting the link to the soldering guide! I've also decided to go down the diode path and already ordered all my parts, I'm just wordering if you could post a pic of the correct diode placement as I'm not too sure looking at the guide?

Appreciate your time!

Cheers,

Kal

Yeah the guide uses the 330ohm resistor. Don’t judge me by the solder job on the bat43, I had to resolder it. Important bit it to make sure the band end points towards the centre of the pcb (towards D0).
IMG_1336.jpg

I have the same motherboard as the one in the picture two posts up. I wanted to use a reed switch but unsure how to achieve it. The switch in the pic above is a two position on or off switch correct? So how do I achieve this using a reed switch??

Edit ok I see I still need the switch then desolder the on off switch on the wemos and replace it with the reed switch.

Last edited:
Morning all, first time on this forum so greetings.

I was just wondering if anybody else is having an issue with the device not updating at the predefined interval?

I have it set on 30s update but it's only updating hourly. I've factory reset, updated the firmware and changed the default update time to 15s and 20s but still only getting an hourly update!

Can anyone help?

I have the same motherboard as the one in the picture two posts up. I wanted to use a reed switch but unsure how to achieve it. The switch in the pic above is a two position on or off switch correct? So how do I achieve this using a reed switch??

Edit ok I see I still need the switch then desolder the on off switch on the wemos and replace it with the reed switch.

Can you post up some photos if you get this working? I am pretty sure I will be unscrewing the lid to clean it completely everytime, so not too concerned about the "never open the lid" dream, but keen to see how you got this working. Do you actually need to desolder the switch? Can you not just solder on the Reed switch to the contacts?

Excuse my ignorance, but just wanted to make sure I ordered the right diodes, do these look like the right ones to you: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252037761818 ?

They do, but I have no idea about diodes so that's why I used the ones linked by @Paiakan in previous Page. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32847923150.html - I know they work because using his list as a basis, I have now completed 4 ispindels and they all successfully wake from sleep.

Can you post up some photos if you get this working? I am pretty sure I will be unscrewing the lid to clean it completely everytime, so not too concerned about the "never open the lid" dream, but keen to see how you got this working. Do you actually need to desolder the switch? Can you not just solder on the Reed switch to the contacts?
Still has me a bit baffled with no exact info on what needs to be done. For sure will post if I work it out..

Hi, just wondering if anyone has found the PET bottles on AliExpress as I live in NZ and getting stuff shipped here can be a bit of a pain

Hey guys life is complicated enough.
Who needs this admittedly wonderful bit of tech.
We are home brewers & I don't see this device actually allowing an improvement in the quality of output.
What would be useful is a simple, easy to read, beer only hydrometer, for the very odd occasion that such is needed.
I don't think I am alone in struggling to read my hydrometer with any level of confidence but not many will admit to this.

Hey guys life is complicated enough.
Who needs this admittedly wonderful bit of tech.
We are home brewers & I don't see this device actually allowing an improvement in the quality of output.
What would be useful is a simple, easy to read, beer only hydrometer, for the very odd occasion that such is needed.
I don't think I am alone in struggling to read my hydrometer with any level of confidence but not many will admit to this.
Yeah I get that this tech is not required to make good beer. And 'need' is not really quantifiable across the board. Knowing current Gravity of a brew can help with repeatability, for D rests and sugar additions (candy). And obviously this device will let you know if active fermentation has started, stalled, or finished all without being anywhere near the fermenter.
Yes we are home brewers, and I can honestly say, some of the brews being produced out of someones back shed in this country put similar commercial offerings to shame. Home brewers are always looking for that edge, quite a few have mash and fermentation systems that have far tighter control, than any commercial brewery. And I'm not saying finite control is the answer to producing award winning beer. However those who have gone to the enth degree, have usually done so across the board, water calcs, ph, recipe balance and design, yeast health and quantity, oxygenation, and then all the temp control and so forth.
This is just another string in the bow.

Last edited:
I'm interested in building myself an Ispindel, just wondering if anyone had the parts spare from their builds to make 1 or 2 kits?
I live out west and don't have access to a 3d printer, so this is my main roadblock to building one

I'm interested in building myself an Ispindel, just wondering if anyone had the parts spare from their builds to make 1 or 2 kits?
I live out west and don't have access to a 3d printer, so this is my main roadblock to building one
I have a completed unit spare for sale. It has been built, tested and succesfully uploading to Ubidots. It just needs to be calibrated. PM me if interested.

Bit more on reed switch you apparently need a spdt version. It has three legs. I have a "normally closed, normally open" version coming hopefully its the right one. Been assembling as bits arrived now only need switch and diode. Everything else here and assembled . One other question is it nessacary to remove the led, I thought with deep sleep the small amount energy the led used would not majorly effect battery life...

Bit more on reed switch you apparently need a spdt version. It has three legs. I have a "normally closed, normally open" version coming hopefully its the right one. Been assembling as bits arrived now only need switch and diode. Everything else here and assembled . One other question is it nessacary to remove the led, I thought with deep sleep the small amount energy the led used would not majorly effect battery life...
Keen to hear how you get on with the reed switch, I'm also interested in persuing that option. Cheers, Kal

Reed switch is all I am waiting for now. Wondering about the wireless charging. When I have my mat inside the tube with the electronics and place it on the pad, the led on the charging pad changes from red to blue but the light does not turn on on the charging board. if I have he mat outside the tube and place it flat on the pad the led on the board lights up and the charging pad led changes to blue. Seems it does not like the curve. Anyway around this? this is the one I bought. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-Q...585.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dn17l9Z

Latest posts

Back