iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have too many projects, having said that this is definitely on my list, I have boards and all the bits(bar one part) together and waiting for brewpiless, the Ispindle integration seems a logical step. The other advantage is by the time I get brewpiless and brewmaniacEx done and dusted, you boys will have this well sorted. Lyrebird I'll be needing some boards fabbed in the next month or so, I'll be in touch.

malt junkie said:
I have too many projects, having said that this is definitely on my list, I have boards and all the bits(bar one part) together and waiting for brewpiless, the Ispindle integration seems a logical step. The other advantage is by the time I get brewpiless and brewmaniacEx done and dusted, you boys will have this well sorted. Lyrebird I'll be needing some boards fabbed in the next month or so, I'll be in touch.
There is one modification of code to the iSpindel to make it work with brewpiless. But it's easy. When I get up to that stage, I will let you know.

Well I pulled the trigger and bought all the parts on eBay.

Now the waiting game; A lot of the parts are on their way via a slow boat from China ...

Would this work inside a pressure Fermenter i.e Kegmenter or would the fluctuation of atmospheric pressure in the FV mess with the calibration/readings? would the ispindel housing withstand the (albeit relatively low) higher pressure?
Could a DIY kit, similar to the Mathos Controller be an option eventually?
Should I wear my lucky socks today or save them for later in the week?

Benn said:
Matho's originally was a PCB that you soldered yourself. From what I understand there are a few guys working on PCB's for this. If your also talking ferment control with ispindle incorporated then brewpiless is what your after and there are PCB's already available. Between the 2 it's a fairly complex build, but as more and more people do them, pit falls and bugs will be identified, and resolved which should make it easier for those who follow.

Thanks MJ,
Sorry if I was a bit unclear with my question earlier, I hadn't considered the ispindel for temp control. What I'm wondering is if a DIY kit including the 3D printed thing etc. may eventuate. Really just thinking out loud I guess.
I realise it's early days, I'll continue to follow with interest.
Keep at it you Tech guys :beer:

Benn said:
Would this work inside a pressure Fermenter i.e Kegmenter or would the fluctuation of atmospheric pressure in the FV mess with the calibration/readings? would the ispindel housing withstand the (albeit relatively low) higher pressure?
Should I wear my lucky socks today or save them for later in the week?
You could chuck the iSpindel into the fermenter and take gravity samples along the way to check.

A calibration could be done if differences are found.

if your considering the build and need the 3DP part from Mattrox in the 1st post give me a shout

Got one running right now printing bipedal robots .....

happy to do a few if u r serious

Is it too late to take you up on this offer? I reckon I'll need 3 of the 3D printed sled thingies.

If not, could someone suggest a 3D printing service in Sydney near the CBD that won't rip me off? (I searched google, tried to figure out what public libraries have one, but not much apart from out at Rhodes or Sutherland).

In my home made boards the one with a 330ohm resistor works. The one I have used the diode has not worked yet. Still trouble shooting.

However, I did pull the trigger on these as it is a neater solution. $10 for 4 boards. Less fiddly soldering, just the components in the correct places.

Don't know what I did, but it is working. I did go to the test page and then re-configure and now it works.

With the diode, the cathode side (marked with the ring) goes towards the D0 pin on the wemos.

could someone confirm the best slide design to use

i just 3DP printed the one in the 1st post for someone....

looks a good print but i have no idea about the size of what it's going into...

Last edited:
could someone confirm the best slide design to use

i just 3DP printed the one in the 1st post for someone....

looks a good print but i have no idea about the size of what it's going into...
That's the one I got printed, I liked it because it has the spot for the weight. I'm still waiting for the container to arrive so don't know how well it's going fit.

It also has a spot for a 20g calibration weight from ebay ($1.54). This is to help the hydrometer tilt at an appropriate angle.

Is this needed? (It's just not in the list of parts that I've been following)

I am interested in this too, as i ferment in pressurised conicals. I think the other part to think about is whether you can get wifi inside your stainless fermenter too, as it would act similar to a Faraday cage? I also think a concern is if external pressure is applied liquid may slowly force its way in through the screwtop lid. I have used the geocaching containers before im pretty sure they will not crumble under pressure

Edit:
I just saw this http://hobbybrauer.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11235&start=700
for wireless charging!

Last edited:
Back