Is Your Brewery Insured...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ingredients are worth more than my equipment. :super: Seriously.

:icon_offtopic:

I used to do stove top all grain and it did work a treat Nick, and tasted great. But if you do get a bit more bling it makes your brewday a shiteload easier and more enjoyable. And with all the money you save from making home brew i'm more then willing to shell out some money for some good gear. Everyone goes about doing things there own way.

PS. Just having a rant because you seem to think your'e way is the best and everyone else is wasting there money.

my brewery has been insured basically since I bought kegs fridge and taps. Hate to have to replace everything in the house then come up short....could lead to arguments with the wife about what's really important!

Ohh and on the point of insurance, my wife is an insurance broker. So i'll chase it up with her and see what she reckons about the situation.

My ingredients are worth more than my equipment. :super: Seriously.

Hi Nick,

Most of my equipment I've sourced for free, bought cheaply or been given. As much as I'm capable of has been built myself because I enjoy building as well as brewing (despite/because of being mildy retarded).

I think you'll find a lot of bling/HERMS etc brewers are the same way.

You know when grumpy old traditional 3V brewers try and cast aspersions on your brewing despite never having tried it or tried your beers? I'm sure you wouldn't want to fall into the same trap. You brew your way and keep showing new brewers how easy it can be. Why not let people who brew with a different method keep cracking on at whatever it is they do? No harm done, beer gets made.

Cheers

I'm an extract brewer more worried about the finished product getting flogged around here. <_<

your contents must be insured for its full replacement value. so even if you were given a brew setup for free, you need to insure it for how much it would cost to replace it from a standard retail shop, not "I know a guy who can get it cheap for me"

Iwould encourage everyone to check under their policies about limts on specific items. Usually, standard household items dont have a specific value, but some things are restricted to something like "$2,000 per item and up to 20% of your contents sum insured"

This information is general in nature and does not take into consideration your specific needs or circumstances etc etc blah blah...

I'm an extract brewer more worried about the finished product getting flogged around here. <_<

I once worked with a bloke who shared a flat with his brother
Together were making beer & kegging it (albeit in a very amateurish way :rolleyes: )
Anyway they started to blue big time saying every time they went to get a beer the keg was empty & the other brother was drinking it all
This went on for a fair while
One day the bloke got a call from the police at work saying they caught a "gang" of teenagers riding (& crashing) his motorbike around in a park
Apparently there were all pretty drunk
The police ended up getting the story out of them & they had been wagging school on & off for a few months & coming around to this blokes place & drinking his beer as it was all stored in an unlocked car port
If they hadn't stolen his motorbike they prob may never been caught ?

Contents insurance really isnt that expencive - especially when you put it against health (what a ******* joke health insurance is) and car insurance.

We have contents insurance, the brewery is contained within the garage with a heap of other contents, so by rights it should be covered as the insurance company is aware of our lock up garage and fact some contents are stored there.....

+1 to Komodo on the relative cost of contents insurance vs other types, I personally have contents insured for 70K and it costs us $40 a month, the POS car is insured for 4K and costs 90 a month......seriously??? And don't even get me started on what we pay in health insurance as a family of two adults and one child, all with a clean bill of health.

your contents must be insured for its full replacement value. so even if you were given a brew setup for free, you need to insure it for how much it would cost to replace it from a standard retail shop, not "I know a guy who can get it cheap for me"

Iwould encourage everyone to check under their policies about limts on specific items. Usually, standard household items dont have a specific value, but some things are restricted to something like "$2,000 per item and up to 20% of your contents sum insured"

This information is general in nature and does not take into consideration your specific needs or circumstances etc etc blah blah...

.D.J has hit the nail on the head.

I worked for 40 years in insurance, the last 30 as a claims manager, so I hope I have some knowledge of this issue.
You do not need to specify every separate item, just make sure you have a sufficient total amount insured. You'd be surprised how much your total contents are worth once you do an inventory in each room/garage/store room/shed etc and calculate your total replacement values.
Make sure you carefully look at your policy as to which items you do need to specify. Usually it's items such as jewellery, works of art, items of virtu, or specific items of large value etc which need to be specified, and supported by valuations in some cases. These requirements differ between insurers.
The cost of insurance is a bit of a drag, but compared to your potential total loss, it's not really a hardship for most of us.

.D.J has hit the nail on the head.

I worked for 40 years in insurance, the last 30 as a claims manager, so I hope I have some knowledge of this issue.
You do not need to specify every separate item, just make sure you have a sufficient total amount insured. You'd be surprised how much your total contents are worth once you do an inventory in each room/garage/store room/shed etc and calculate your total replacement values.
Make sure you carefully look at your policy as to which items you do need to specify. Usually it's items such as jewellery, works of art, items of virtu, or specific items of large value etc which need to be specified, and supported by valuations in some cases. These requirements differ between insurers.
The cost of insurance is a bit of a drag, but compared to your potential total loss, it's not really a hardship for most of us.

Warra,

Is it true that say for example you are insured for 80k contents, your house burns down and you loose everything..

You go to replace it, it prices out at 94k - Insurance says you are 14k 'Under insured' so pay you out 80k-14k = 66k ??

Anyone infact?

Gee I hope my garden shed with my $20, 000 brewery in it doesnt burn down tonight ;) .

Disclaimer: This was a humorous post and no way implies that i have filled my garden shed with incompatible chemicals and flammables and turned a bar heater on in my garden shed next to a cheap shop 15L pot.

2nd disclaimer the humorous implication that a 15L cheap SS pot is a brewery was not having a jib at NickJB :D

Cheers

I dont believe in insurance. I prefer to invest in automated explosives systems!

But I also like to invite intruders by leaving the door open. Good luck to would be thieves getting away with their head still attached.

It's not me that did it - its the fully automated security system!

Back