Is Your Brewery Insured...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komodo

Reaction score
So something I was thinking about on my way into work this morning - how many of us have our breweries insured.
Many of us have invested $1000's of dollars into our breweries & kegging setups but how many of us have that covered in insurance should something happen or if some low life knocked it off?

I dont have mine insured but I am going to talk to my insurance broker about what to do. I know I have upped the value on my contents to cover things like my CD and DVD/Bluray collections but I've never really given my brewery a though insurance wise. Now admittedly I've probably got more money invested in CD & DVDs than I have in my brewery at this stage - but I can see that changing fairly soon at the rate I'm procuring and upgrading items

So something I was thinking about on my way into work this morning - how many of us have our breweries insured.
Many of us have invested $1000's of dollars into our breweries & kegging setups but how many of us have that covered in insurance should something happen or if some low life knocked it off?

I dont have mine insured but I am going to talk to my insurance broker about what to do. I know I have upped the value on my contents to cover things like my CD and DVD/Bluray collections but I've never really given my brewery a though insurance wise. Now admittedly I've probably got more money invested in CD & DVDs than I have in my brewery at this stage - but I can see that changing fairly soon at the rate I'm procuring and upgrading items

I have been assured by my insurance company that my setup is part & parcel of my "contents" & thus is covered against every contingency that the rest of my home & contents is covered for which is just about everything barring a nuclear explosion. :p

TP

<embaressing admission here...>

I work in the insurance industry (International Marine Transit Insurance) and like you, have considered whether my gear is covered under my home & contents - you see I also have another expenisve hobby called GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome B) and considered what is covered under my contents ??

You'll find most insurer's will include it, but if it is expensive, unique or difficult to source in Aus, I would strongly suggest you consider nominating it on your policy to ensure you are adequately covered. There is an extremely high percentage of people who are 'under insured'. This results in the insurance company not paying out the full amount you are claiming for !

Best bet is to go through room by room and add up the values - you'd be surprised how quickly we accumulate junk, err crap, err... sorry dear I meant all that nice stuff your mother keeps buying us.

Usual disclaimer inserted here about me not really knowing who you are or what you want....

Cheers !

Yeah its the values of essentially a "one off" item that has me concerned. Pretty sure my policy has a limit on how much can be claimed against one un-nominated item

policy has a limit on how much can be claimed against one un-nominated item

Yeah Komodo... some do some don't... depends on the company - sorry to say. Your insurance adviser can determine that for you, or if like me you are sleep depreived you could try reading the wording !!! lol

i'd pay good money to see someone rob a house and try and steal some of the brew rigs on here i've seen. bloke would need a truck for most of them.

i wonder how you'd go trying to insure a keg thats owned by a legit brewery that u pinched to make a boil pot out of :)

True - but many of us put photos of our brew rigs up online and the are all types of people with all kinds of agendas on the internet...
It doesnt take much to work out when people are away - particularly fairly active members - in fact many of us will even make comment about going away for a few weeks. Someone cunning enough could easily come up with a believable story for passes buy about moving a brewery.

Fact - my neighbours got robbed the day they moved in. They were moving from the UK to Australia they have a shipping company drop off a container with all their furniture and they had a moving company come in and set all the furniture up. Later in the day after the moving company had left another truck rocked up - all the neighbours just thought it was more furniture being delivered - how wrong were we - they took the lot. From paintings to beds, mircrowaves to TVs and everything inbetween. Welcome to Frankston!
Draw your on conclusions there - but the fact is that very big items CAN go missing in broad daylight

Don't worry too much if it ends up not being covered as I am sure they will replace your can opener at the very least :icon_cheers:

I'd suspect the average crim wouldn't know WTF they were looking at.

Even worse.

"Dude, that thing is the ULTIMATE meth lab!"
"F*** yeah, we've hit the jackpot!"

very big items CAN go missing in broad daylight

All you have to do is look legitimate. Like that bloke on ACA who was stealing cars in a business suit - people actually offered to help!

Definitely find out what a commercial unit would cost to replace your setup, and then base your estimates on that. If they question you then simply answer that thats what a commercial example costs. If you want to be a smart arse, factor in your time at $30 an hour and add the cost of materials - it'll be a horrendous amount for your setup that way, I guarantee.

Cheers - boingk

I prefer the 'decoy' method, so I leave my motorcycle parked in front of my brewing gear.

That'll fool em.

I'm like, clever I am..

You'd sacrifice your motobike? Oooo...tought call man. Tough indeed.

- boingk

It doesnt take much to work out when people are away - particularly fairly active members - in fact many of us will even make comment about going away for a few weeks.

That reminds me of the website - pleaserobme.com. It allowed searching an address/suburb and would show any twitter messages/facebook/etc posts giving travel information that had orientated from there. It's a site trying to raise the security issue of 'over sharing'. It was quite impressive/scary.

I prefer the 'decoy' method, so I leave my motorcycle parked in front of my brewing gear.

That'll fool em.

I'm like, clever I am..

Arghhh, ...... take my brew gear & all my beer before my bike ...... please

I'd be more worried about fire than theft. And I know my policy has a maximum of $1500 or so for any item not specifically listed. This is separate to the total maximum.

I'm below the maximum though. Another benefit of BIAB in an urn!!! :lol:

Yes.

As part of the general property insurance coverage, costs $38 per year for the building and $5k of contents. It's probably under-insured a little.

WFI.

I'd be more worried about fire than theft. And I know my policy has a maximum of $1500 or so for any item not specifically listed. This is separate to the total maximum.

I'm below the maximum though. Another benefit of BIAB in an urn!!! :lol:

Yeah just moved house and updated the contents insurance, had to answer a heap of questions about whether there was any jewellery worth over 2k, stamp collections, etc etc etc. However fridges and urns are really just household items - yes my urn is for when all the bingo ladies come over after church for a get together in the rose garden and I have to brew up 80 cups of tea for them, and all those kegs are for ginger ale for the scout jamboree.... why what else could Cornelius kegs be used for? Oh what? My Lord please tell me it isn't so :eek: :eek:

My ingredients are worth more than my equipment. :super: Seriously.

Latest posts

Back