Is this old yeast starter good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooraf

Reaction score
So I this is the first time I've done a yeast starter. Now the pro-culture yeast vial I have has been sitting in the fridge for at least two years so I know there is a chance that it may not be viable. But I did a small starter of 500ml with a stirplate. I've just stepped it up to 1000ml after about 3 days and before I stepped it I took this photo. Is this yeast still healthy enough to use or will it be a lost cause? What are people's opinions/suggestions???

image.jpg

image.jpg

ok im going to ask the obvious did it kick are you getting foam
ive resurrected 2 year old pac man

Smells Ok?
Can you draw off 50ml and taste it? No kidding! Trust your palate...It looks a bit tired / settled a bit too quickly...

Cheers,
TL

Yea I am getting foam. Will have to draw off a bit tomorrow to taste.

At two years of age I'd have stepped it up smaller to start, I'd have been sorely tempted to make it a 100ml 1030 1 step into a 500ml 1030 2nd step into a 2lt 1040 third step. (+ nutrient)

Many of my starters try to climb out of the flask these days, what yeast was it?

Did you notice significant lightening of the wort?

havnt had a chance to tast it til i get home from work today.

yeast was "PRO- 74 ENGLISH PALE ALE YEAST"

i have noticed some lightening of the wort

i still have a couple of yeast in the fridge that are that old so next time i'll try the smaller 100ml starter.

Latest posts

Back