Is this normal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogfence

Reaction score
I am brewing for the first time. My brew is in it's 5th day. I noticed over the 4th day that the gas coming from the air lock was slowing. Now on the 5th day it is slower still. Is this normal???
The recipe said to check the 'Hydrometer' on the 10th and 11th days. we are only halfway through and there seems to be a slowing down.
will the gas eventually stop???
any help appreciated.

Dogfence - Goolwa :unsure:

As fermentation slows so will the escaping gas.

Why not check with your hydrometer now.

Completely normal. That's pretty standard for fermentation to slow down around 4-5 days (depending on temperature, yeast health, aeration of wort etc it could be close to finished by this time). There's no harm in taking a hydrometer reading now just to see where it's at (I take readings everyday out of curiosity), just take a sample through the tap and check it.

Good idea to check the hydrometer now. If the reading remains the same for 3 days you're ready for the next step.

Dogfence said:
I am brewing for the first time. My brew is in it's 5th day. I noticed over the 4th day that the gas coming from the air lock was slowing. Now on the 5th day it is slower still. Is this normal???
The recipe said to check the 'Hydrometer' on the 10th and 11th days. we are only halfway through and there seems to be a slowing down.
will the gas eventually stop???
any help appreciated.

Dogfence - Goolwa :unsure:
Welcome Dogfence. All good so far, and I recommend you enjoy your first few brews, and your upcoming journey into your first sanitation issues (as we almost all did).

Les

Is that how you discovered your wheat yeast Les?!

Welcome dogfence. Have fun. Read up/search & ask whenever you are stuck, it's a lot of fun to brew.

Just took a "Hydro", after clearing any sludge from tap. F.S.G - 34 - Today 20. Not a lot of difference. I worked this out to be a difference 14 x a factor of .14 = 1.96. This seems to be a "supper light". Could mean I can drink more. No complaints here!

As a general rule for me, at least when brewing kits, is to leave it for three weeks in the FV (includes one week cc). That is plenty of time to reach FG assuming nothing went wrong. I'll usually only take one reading at day 14 just before cold crashing, this saves me wasting beer on too many samples. Sometimes I get lazy or forgetful and don't even bother doing that...although I wouldn't recommend that.

Having said that, when starting out it is a good idea to take several samples to get used to what should be happening over the period of a couple of weeks...and don't forget to taste the samples. :)

i take one just before throwing in the yeast and thats all, i am pretty sure that after 2 weeks it all done and i tend to use fairly similar grain bill size and temps...

Do you guys always taste before reading the "Hydro"? If you do, how do you know if your reading is right? after two or more weeks it should be ready to blow your thongs off. or do you put them in the mix as well?

Not sure I'm following your last post there Dogfence. You'll want to get a hydro reading from your sample first and then before throwing it down the drain, take a taste. Never put your sample back in the fermenter. And as a general rule, the fewer times you open your fermenter, the less likely you'll get some airborne nasties in there, whether that be bacteria or wild yeast.

Best of luck and, more importantly, have patience.

Dogfence said:
Do you guys always taste before reading the "Hydro"? If you do, how do you know if your reading is right? after two or more weeks it should be ready to blow your thongs off. or do you put them in the mix as well?
I taste after the hydro… that way I have something to use the hydro with :p

Time to confess. I rarely take a final gravity.

I almost always ferment ales for a week at 17 degrees then I bump it to 20 degrees for a few days to make sure it's complete. Then I Cold crash to about 2 degrees for at least 2 days and whack it in a keg.

I used to transfer to a secondary for the CC but all my "refinements" are due to laziness so that was an obvious one to abandon.

Seems to work. Interested to hear if others are as lazy as me.

Note that I'm not recommending this as a strategy for dogfence. Stick to your regular hydros fella!!

431neb said:
Seems to work. Interested to hear if others are as lazy as me.
Yeah, i never hydro... I *might* check the refractometer during mashout / boil. If i can be bothered.
I seem to be in a routine where my beers are quite consistent.

I leave the fermenter until the hop flowers / pellets settle to the bottom, then keg. Don't bother checking ever.

Latest posts

Back