Is This Legal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
So there i am, sitting on my back deck savouring a bottle of the Adnams Broadside Strong Original, when i notice that the "use by" sticker look very badly like it was stuck on by the shop or importer. I wondered what was below it, so i peeled it off and looked at what was below...

Can i complain to anyone?

IMG_1214__Medium_.jpg

I know you go to the local council for dodgy food from lunch bars and that kinda thing.
Maybe call consumer advice or something like that, look in the front of the whitepages me thinks.

BTW Y you brewing nothing ? :blink:

jgriffin said:
So there i am, sitting on my back deck savouring a bottle of the Adnams Broadside Strong Original, when i notice that the "use by" sticker look very badly like it was stuck on by the shop or importer. I wondered what was below it, so i peeled it off and looked at what was below...

[post="106710"][/post]​

Its unclear from the photo.The date is legible but the text below is not.
Could it be a manufacture date?If not and its a dodgy(misleadu\ing) label applied by the importer/wholesaler,then i think you would be wise to keep the evidence and contact consumer affairs or whichever relevant government body handles expiry date legislation.I'ts gotta be illegal to do that.

Yes - it is illegal, unfortunately it is a local council matter...

Agro.

The original label says "best before", this is not a use-by date. The white sticker is probably added by the importer to meet local packaging requirements. I don't think you'll get anywhere with a complaint.

mika_lika said:
BTW Y you brewing nothing ? :blink:
[post="106712"][/post]​
Time!

agro said:
Yes - it is illegal, unfortunately it is a local council matter...

Agro.
[post="106714"][/post]​
That sucks, probably not worth complaining then.

PostModern said:
The original label says "best before", this is not a use-by date. The white sticker is probably added by the importer to meet local packaging requirements. I don't think you'll get anywhere with a complaint.
[post="106717"][/post]​

I suppose you are right, however the fact that they covered over the manufacturers date was what was annoying - if they'd stuck it beside the original date than i could have made an informed buying decision.

i agree with u JG. The fact that they stuck a date over the best before date in the first place and not beside it, is misleading packaging.

I think you would receive a reply from ACCC if you made a complaint. They would probably have it replaced or money back if unopened, however the ACCC would be much more interested in the importer/distributor's labeling practices regarding licencing requirements. You can make a simple complaint on line. a consultant will contact you re the complaint. I can assure you a call from the ACCC is treated very seriously by all businesses.

ring whatever the Qld equivalent is to the NSW department of fair trading.

might be considered deceptive conduct.....maybe...

Jez

jgriffin said:

[post="106710"][/post]​

One question; and I think it's relevant: If you were savouring the beer, why do you want to complain?
I'm not trying to be nasty here, but if you were enjoying the beer, what's the problem.

If it was me, I'd give feedback to the company re their labelling, and wouldn't involve the authorities.

But, hey, I'm weird. Do what U wanna!
Seth :p

Was the beer OK? If it was not then it would be an issue but many beers are good way after their BB date...hell Coopers uses a best after label.

This is a big problem in OZ though. I work in the industry and I have to check every batches BB when it comes in due to the nature of the beast. Not because I think the beer is 'off' but because customers may complain and it becomes a hard sale. Lots of imported beer arrives in Perth close to its BB date unfortunately!

write to the importer and tell them you won't post anymore stuff like this, you may get a freebie ??

If they snob you off try the other Oz venues and definitely at least Email the brewer.

:excl:

I worked next door to a providoring company in FN QLD. One day I observed that they were rubbing off the Use By Dates on some food products and restamping to 'extend' the sellable life. They were caught and went down pretty badly for it. There is certainly some more weight behind your potential complaint with the date being covered over. I guess even if your beer was OK perhaps the importer should be made accountable for that practise for future beverages that they handle. The next batch may not be so pallatable <_<

They should atleast give you a refund, but I reccommend emailing the brewery, and letting them know, I would say that the used by date on beer is a pretty grey area, particularly with regard to imported beers..

Latest posts

Back