IS THIS INFECTED

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throw it away or let it turn sour

• Throw it

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Sour it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackyackyatko

Reaction score
Yes im asking is this infected this is my first brew im VERY interested but lack knowledge at this point

What should i do pour the beer down the drain or what ?

Is this a fail ale can it be turned sour the smell of it is like off cordial 3 weeks into fermentation

A picture could help identify if it's an infected batch.

I'm not familiar with off cordial smells in infected beer. I don't know what that would smell like to be honest.
If it's Cidery, then it might, or might not be, an aceto infection.

What was the recipe? Fermentation temp?
Maybe it's something in the recipe that's giving that aroma.

Did you pitch enough yeast?

Could also be that you just copped a whiff of co2 up the nostrils and everything is fine.

If it's been in the fermenter for 3 weeks it should be done, a gravity reading will let you know that.

Have you tasted it?

Omg i am so sorry haha i thought i had uploaded a pic but the file size was to big ill retake one when im home

This is the photo

Attachments

• IMG_20170619_124535_072-756x756.jpg
    IMG_20170619_124535_072-756x756.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 366
I'm no expert but I don't think I'd drink it. Have you had a taste? I would just to confirm.

I'm no expert but I don't think I'd drink it. Have you had a taste? I would just to confirm.

I gave it a taste and didnt like the taste very much at all but considering this is my first brew im not sure weather to bottle it and let it ferment for a further couple of weeks or will the taste just get stronger

I'd personally dump the beer and throw the fermenter. How did it actually taste, acidic, buttery?
What was it meant to be?

most of it looks normal apart from the white flakes on top.

Those grey/blue/green patches don't look very encouraging. There's also a few large bubbles that in a healthy batch are normal, but in a suspect one, 3 weeks in, are also not encouraging.
The white rice things in there are 'interesting', as is the layer of film forming over the top.
The krausen in the centre looks fairly normal though, but again 3 weeks in, it probably shouldn't be there.

I'm leaning towards infected and there's only one thing to do...........serve it up to your mates.

It tasted odd its ment to be the coopers diy brew kit as its my first beer next ill be doing hops and all my self next time

Am i able to thouroughly wash the fermenter with bleach and still use it as im abit tied up with cash

So do use all think i should tip it out or bottle it and ferment it in the bottles with carb drops and see how it goes?

Update the taste is very bittery but id drink it i just had a proper taste do use think i should still throw it

Assuming it is infected, you'll want to be very careful when bottling it. Glass bottles are notorious for exploding if filled with infected beer.
If you use PET bottles you won't get any glass in your face.

It's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like there could be some mould in there (the white/green looking stuff), if so you need to dump it.

the film across the top reminds of a what an all Brett ferment looks like. If it weren't for the moldy floaties i would say keep it.

Latest posts

Back