IS THIS INFECTED

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throw it away or let it turn sour

• Throw it

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Sour it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the pic it looks like an acetobacter infection is starting to take place - the whitish 'skin' isn't normal, nor are the largish bubbles. The big thing in the middle is normal krausen which is the head that forms when the beer ferments. Most of the time it clears away, but sometimes it doesn't. This depends on a few things that you don't need to worry about on beer #1. Realistically, without someone who knows what an infection tastes like you're not going to be able to tell if it's infected unless it's completely off-putting.
To be honest when I started home brewing I had some pretty accommodating tastebuds for my own brews. Until I started brewing decent beer I didn't realise how sub-par most of it was, but it was my beer, I was in my early 20's and be stuffed if I wasn't proud of it. Seeing as this is your first brew and you've tried it and not thought it was crap, go ahead and bottle it. It may tidy itself up in a few weeks and taste heaps better once it's carbonated. No doubt you're using PET bottles so bottle bombs aren't an issue. Here's what I'd do -
  • Bottle now with two carb drops per bottle
  • Leave in a warm place (18°C ideally) for 2 weeks
  • Squeeze a few bottles and note how tight they are
  • Taste test - do this in front of a warm fire with slippers on, the TV turned down, kids at their grandparents' place with some Muse, Prodigy, Spiderbait or some other appropriately decent music playing in the background whilst served in your favourite Headmaster glass
  • Check every week or so and if the bottles keep getting tighter and fizz more when they're poured, it's infected. The taste will change as well and they never change for the better
Don't throw your gear out, there are ways and methods to get rid of bugs from the fermenter before resorting to binning things.
Bottle away, keep tabs on things, and be warned that this is start of a dangerous hobby that will be filling your garage up with fridges and stainless in no time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Get rid of it
Do more reading on cleaning sanitation
looks like a big occy head in there wouldnt mind that for fishing tomorrow

Thanks guys i turfed it bottled only 6 bottles ill be going to the brew shop on my next day off

Although it hurts I'd say you have done the right thing. Ensure you clean and sanitise your fermenter including pulling the tap apart.
You state you have bottled 6, if glass, put away protected with a blanket or in a box as they could be "bombs" as mentioned by TheWiggman.

It looks like just before alien bursts out of someone's guts.....

Since you've tipped it this is a bit after the horse has bolted, however I'd say by the look of it it's definitely infected.
As Wiggas pointed out, it looks like a thin film of acetobacter infection across the majority of the top, plus those blue-green patches look like blue mould patches. The little white specks look like a second mould infection.
I'm guessing the big white dome in the middle is what constitutes the krausen from the yeast activity. So I'd assume your yeast activity has been minimal (as that should be 1-2cm across the whole top, instead of a smaller patch in the middle), which is partly why you've ended up with maybe 3 infections - the yeast activity has been slow enough that other microbes have enough time, space, & food to take hold and infect the beer.
If you could afford it, I'd toss the fermenter as it's going to be hard to get rid of those bugs. However if you're pushed for cash, you can have a crack at it. I'd suggest you want to try to fill it with hot water (say 70*c or higher) and put sodium percarbonate or PMW (they're chemical cleaners) in it and leave it over night. You'll probably need to take out any tap, break it down if possible and similarly soak it in cleaner. You also might want to think about how to ensure the very top rim of your fermenter is going to get enough soaking time in cleaner.

(Eg: I have an urn that I can juuuuust get the top 3-4" of my fermenter into (tipped upside down, of course) so I boil water with sod perc in it for 10-20 mins with the fermenter sitting upside down in it, then put the fermenter on the ground (after refitting the tap) and fill with the boiled water, then soak for 24hrs. I had to get rid of an acetobacter infection earlier this year [emoji53]).

Latest posts

Back