is this fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrIrish

Reaction score
My 2nd brew and not sure if its fermenting or not
Its 2 weeks in there now
cheers
Dave
20131006_122724.jpg

Would it be done this soon? I was expecting another week or so
saflager s-23 yeast
ESB bavarian lager
18 degrees

A lager at 18 will rocket off and maybe have a 'non clean' lager profile. About 13 is a good mark for lagers. Anyway by the look of the scum ring it is well done and finished. Did you do a OG?

Your FG suggests a full ferment.

I had two brews on just recently pretty similar but different yeasts one had two packs of w34/70 (23g) and one had 15g pack of european lager yeast both started at 1.041. Anyway after 17 days at 14C the w34/70 was down to 1.008 and the euro brew was still at 1.020 !!!!! This worried me a fair bit so I read arround the net for a few hours and came up with this stratergy --> I hydrated 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and about 150 grams of dextrose in two cups of boiled water and chucked it in, then swirled it up. I swirled and measured the gravity about every second day and it came down to 1.009 after about 6 or 7 days. Both brews have been in the bottles for about 5 days now so I cant report on taste but atleast none have blown up!

Any way long story short if your OG wasn't 1.060+ I think that 1.019 is still too high and I think what you may have is a stalled ferment like I had. Do some googling on restarting a stalled ferment or give the method I tried a go.

JJJ

Its still going, give it a swirl and put the ******* lid back on.

Latest posts

Back