is this an infection?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindseyyy

Reaction score
i put down a Coopers APA 8 days ago and it has this thick foamy layer on top of it. all my previous brews have had the kruasen fade away to all but nothing after 8 day. IMG_20150117_134219_282.jpg
this doesnt look good to me but i thought id put it out there and check with you guys first before i dump it.
this brew has beenkept at a stable 18c for the entire 8days of brewing.

hard to see from the picture but looks normal. hows it smell/taste?

it doesnt taste too bad a much bigger CO2 smell than normal though. the current gravity reading is 1010. one thing i did do different on this brew was use a whitelabs liquid yeast (American Ale Yeast Blend WLP060) which didnt activate so after 24hrs i pitched a US05.ncould this be the issue? possibly

I've had the kruasen stick around for more than 2 weeks.

For some reason when I use US-05 yeast it takes much longer. After having my T-58 yeast being complete in a few days, its a big difference compared to having to wait weeks.

I would just leave it be and forget about it. Check back on it in a week at least.

i kegged it a few days back and tried it today. very funky flavour! its a tipper!

Rob.P said:
Make sure you clean the s$&* out of your fermenter.
i doubled the amount of PSR for the fermenter and doubled the keg cleaner for the keg also. soaked both for 24hrs.

Bummer about the dumping, " i doubled the amount of PSR for the fermenter" - don't forget to pull your tap apart and clean/sanitise.
Cheers

Back