Is There Something Wrong With This Years Amarillo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do rate this years amarillo?

• Tastes the same to me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This years isn't as good as last years

• Still good, I'm just sick of it

• It tastes different but still nice

• This years is bland and harsh

• I'm gay for amarillo

• I'm amarillos mum...

• Total voters
Still enjoying the amarillo. But maybe because I didn't OD on it like many hopheads did a few years back. Have a couple of recipes that knock out a great beer with this hop - one bittered with Perle which I find a great combo.

Was amazed at a recent comp in Vic how much Citra hopping was represented in the beer. Seems to be what the cool kids are using these days.
Ironic because with everyone using the same new funky hop you get no point of difference in your brew.

I wonder what will be hep to the jive next year?

Hopper.

Hardly ever seen posts commenting on new season/last season hop comparrisons (possibly a good thread idea though) & considering the new season hops are only just appearing it's an unlikely topic to bring up unless someone finds a difference worth commenting on.
For the record, Amarillo is the major aroma hop in our Obama IPA & flavour/aroma hop in our Amarillo Golden Ale, & we've not noticed any discernable difference either way with 09 or 10 crop.

cheers Ross

Noticing that a number of crops are tending to more passionfruit lately.

Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe - all four tend to be more passionfruity than I remember. I know that this is an entirely subjective opinion, however.

Once I have temp control downpat, I'll definately do a lager-esque (not sure about the lagering process - I haven't 3 fridges to allow me that luxury).

Goomba

thanks ross, are the new ones that you are using the 6.9% ones? I went to your website to see which ones you have but you don't have the alpha of this seasons listed yet. Its good that you have the 09 batch though, as this stuff was/is great.

I might have to get me some of yours for a special treat :)

The reason i made this thread is because i have noticed a difference, and wanted to know if other people have as well.

Hardly ever seen posts commenting on new season/last season hop comparrisons (possibly a good thread idea though) & considering the new season hops are only just appearing it's an unlikely topic to bring up unless someone finds a difference worth commenting on.
For the record, Amarillo is the major aroma hop in our Obama IPA & flavour/aroma hop in our Amarillo Golden Ale, & we've not noticed any discernable difference either way with 09 or 10 crop.

cheers Ross

It's the Hops Direct Amarillo that's different. Their Citra is exactly the same. Makes me wonder how many farms over what area are allowed to grow Amarillo ... and whether Hops Direct sells only their farm's crop - or resells for the whole region.

I am guessing what people are experiencing is regional variation rather than seasonal.

I prefer the "milder" Amarillo because I wasn't a big fan of Rexona Sport beer.

Seems to me that with a reduction in the bittering compounds probably comes a reduction in the aromatics.

EDIT: no, it seems Amarillo is only grown on one farm by one company - so what we are experiencing with the '10 crop and Ross isn't has me perplexed.

From Wiki: Unlike most varieties of hops, which may be acquired and propagated by the purchase of rhizomes, Amarillo hops are privately grown only by Virgil Gamache Farms; the organization holds a trademark on the name "Amarillo."

To further complicate matters I have seen a few places selling 2010 Amarillo with an AA of 10.7%. I think we got the leaves and stalks!

What's the AA% of your 2010 Amarillo, Ross?

I have had the 10.7% stuff and it was ridiculously bitter for me. I adjusted the levels accordingly before that is brought up. It had next to no flavour in it at all, this was for the JSGA so it was amarillo the whole way through. The 6.9 % with the JSGA just lacked that special something.

I too am using it in APAs and Tony's yummy AIPA in conjunction with all the C hops now, but it's gunna take a while to churn through 3 pounds.

Maybe the issue is actually more the lower AA% and how we're all brewing with it?

If the more recent crops are lower AA% and people are using their tried and true recipes without upping a bittering or flavour addition, then of course you're going to find a difference.

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but I thought I'd point out that not all brewers use brewing software and some tend to 'chuck in' their ingredients without thinking much about it.

Hopper.

Maybe the issue is actually more the lower AA% and how we're all brewing with it?

If the more recent crops are lower AA% and people are using their tried and true recipes without upping a bittering or flavour addition, then of course you're going to find a difference.

Sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but I thought I'd point out that not all brewers use brewing software and some tend to 'chuck in' their ingredients without thinking much about it.

Hopper.

Good point, but it's different and can't be restored by using 40% more.

I'll try to describe it. The 2010 Amarillo I have is more like a C hop, leaning more to Centenial/Chinook, with more lean towards citrus and less toward what I like to call "franjipani flowers" or "Rexona deoderant" or "Nana's perfume". It still has a smell that distinguishes it from other hops and you can tell it's Amarillo - it's just as if it's lost the edge to its floral fragrance.

I have an almost empty keg with 20g of it in there, and the recipe had 35 IBUs at 20 minutes in it. It should, by all means be the lind of APA that knocks your socks off - but it's subdued and pleasant ... and is even started showing hints of that earthy/woody PoR aroma toward the end.

To paraphrase Regurgitator: I like the new stuff better than the old stuff.

You are talking about me there (indirectly of course... unless you have a spy camera in my house... :unsure: ).

I follow recipes, but have not really honed in on the details of AA% levels (and some other things) ... but it is discussions like this that get people like me thinking more about the finer details... and at times it sure helps explain why sometimes I don't get the results that i had expected.

I've been sampling a Brown Ale (90%Ale & 10%SpecB)over the weekend that has a heap of late Amarillo 2010 (from HopsDirect) It's bittered by Chinook and supported late by a little Cascade. The flavour and aroma profile i'm getting is not really "classic" Amarillo ie stonefruit. It's not nearly as flavoursome as i remember in previous versions. Pleasant but not that full rounded fruity/flowery flavour i'm familiar with. It's not the Cascade confusing things... as i've done that combo in the past with success... It's just not the same. I no longer consider Amarillo the special hop i once though it was. Now, just a middle of the ground American hop.

Argon,

Please bring some of the hops down to the shop & we can compare with our stock - The aroma of ours is awesome this year.

cheers Ross

Will do mate, I'll bring a bottle or 2 to babbs as well. Just may be tempted to pick up another packet from yourself and do a side by side.

I've got a bit of the above mentioned 2010 10.7%AA in the freezer but haven't brewed with it yet.
Is it shit?
I was planning on using it on saturday, a fair whack of it late, but might just save it for bittering after reading this thread.

Hops Direct's Amarillo was "different" in 2009 too.

Seeing as Amarillo has a symbol after it, I'm really at a loss to know how Hops Direct manage to sell a different Amarillo...

My 2009 Hops Direct stuff and Ross's latest stuff are two different hops with the same name. It's not a "vintage" variation. Ross's are a more rounded, plesant ripe nectarine/apricot flavour - and a florally sweetness. The low AA 2009 crop from HD are very citrusy, and don't have any stone fruitiness but they still have the same floral (orange blossum-ish) part.

Holy crap - I should write blurbs for the back of wine bottles.

Hops Direct's Amarillo was "different" in 2009 too.

Seeing as Amarillo has a symbol after it, I'm really at a loss to know how Hops Direct manage to sell a different Amarillo...

My 2009 Hops Direct stuff and Ross's latest stuff are two different hops with the same name. It's not a "vintage" variation.

Maybe grown in different districts? Local conditions do appear to have a major factor in the final product. Wonder if there is a way to find out where the actual product was grown.

Maybe grown in different districts? Local conditions do appear to have a major factor in the final product. Wonder if there is a way to find out where the actual product was grown.

What would account for 2009's 6.9% AA though? When other Amarillo from that bintage :)D), grown a few valleys over had 30% more acidy stuff in it? And different aroma...

What would account for 2009's 6.9% AA though? When other Amarillo from that bintage :)D), grown a few valleys over had 30% more acidy stuff in it? And different aroma...

It is a really good question....what if one batch was grown two or three valleys over and they suffered a major rainfall shortage compared to the original? That would certainly impact it, but it would nice to know the reality behind what people have experienced.

For those interested, here is a paper on the environment and weather factors affect on hop quality

It is a really good question....what if one batch was grown two or three valleys over and they suffered a major rainfall shortage compared to the original? That would certainly impact it, but it would nice to know the reality behind what people have experienced.

For those interested, here is a paper on the environment and weather factors affect on hop quality
According to this, Amarillo hops only come from one source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amarillo_hops

Therefore, hops of the same years crop should be the same, I have had the same problem,but I do not understand it.

Latest posts

Back