Is There An Easy Way To Join Two Bigw Pots?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aluminium is one of the more abundant elements on this rock we live on and it's in almost bloody everything.
Including every beer you've ever drunk - regardless of kettle composition.

I can't believe people are still spinning this Alzheimer's garbage in this day and age. It's been maybe 40 years since anyone who knows anything has taken such claims seriously.

Including every beer you've ever drunk - regardless of kettle composition.

I can't believe people are still spinning this Alzheimer's garbage in this day and age. It's been maybe 40 years since anyone who knows anything has taken such claims seriously.

Yeah, everyone knows it's the chromium in stainless that gives you Alzheimers.

But seriously: they're about to recategorise Alzheimers as type 3 diabetes...

I haven't looked into this at all beyond a quick google (and I'm unlikely to, let's face it), but a link/classification like this goes a long way in explaining why the plaque build ups in the brain associated with Alzheimer's had not yet had a directionality applied to their correlation.

I read the New Scientist article on it last week.

I read the New Scientist article on it last week.

If you dig into it further they then say that the insulin resistance is perhaps caused by nitrosamines. You know the nitrates in cured meats.

So salami causes Alzheimer's :(

If you got two big W pots, and you don't want to buy more equipment.

Why not just boil seperate wort in both add together and ferment together? Or buy another FV and do two different batches..?
I would much prefer 15l of two different beers anyway than 30l of one.

Because that is a pain in the arse.

Go full volume or go home.

It might surprise you,but this is called theft.I'm surprised no-one has pulled you up on it yet.

Obviously. I thought it was about as stupid an idea as two pots stuck together with silicon, just stupid in a different way. Sorry, I don't always think properly because of my type 3 diabetes

By the time you buy 2 x 19L pots and some decent silicone, you could have got a better 50L keg cheaper!

If you can't afford it, give up drinking beer and drink water for a while until you save up enough $.

Silicon wont work, dont even bother trying.

My kettle consists of 2 BigW pots joined at the top edge, I then had to cut the bottom out of the top pot. Yes they are tapered. I actually silver soldered them together, but if you have never silver soldered, dont try to as it was a right PITA due to the metal being so thin. You also need a proper flux and solder rods that will bond to stainless. Cant remember the exact flux, but you need to go to a proper welding shop to get it. I also soldered a brass threaded tube in to attach a tap.

I enquired about getting it mig/tig welded but not many where keen to do it.

They can be joined, but a lot of effort.

It looks as ugly as a naked brewer, but does work.

Its a shame that stealing kegs is illegal <_<

Why not join the two tops together. So one normal way up and the other one upside down??? That's what I'll be doing for the extended malt pipe on my Brau-clone!!

Just need some latches to clip them together.

KISS!! :)

Why not join the two tops together. So one normal way up and the other one upside down??? That's what I'll be doing for the extended malt pipe on my Brau-clone!!

Just need some latches to clip them together.

KISS!! :)
I

I soldered the top rims together so one was upside down, then just cut the top/bottom out.

Latches wont work, they will always leak and need some sort of gasket.

he he, how did I completely miss your post. :huh: I haven't even been drinking!!!!!

Yeh, I figured I will need a gasket to seal the two pots. But given that I am using it as a malt pipe inside the main vessel, it probably isn't as critical to prevent leaks as if you were using it as a normal kettle. Just need to prevent grain getting through the gap.

Why not just get one of the $39.95 Big W 40L pots?

Nah, they don't exist. But I got ya.

EDIT: why don't they exist? Why is a 19L pot a dollar a liter, and everything else is nutso expensive?

Surface area to volume ratios dictate that the bigger the volume, the less metal needed! Where are the $40, 40L pots?

i have (or maybe i binned it?) two 19l pots welded lip to lip that was done with a mig

it looked like crap but it did work and did not leak

i didnt make beer in it but...

I would have preferred mig welding, soldering heats and buckles the metal. The hardest bit was trying to hold them in place

Thanks for all the replies. I have enough info now.

Is There An Easy Way To Join Two Bigw Pots?, just playing with the idea for now.
The concensus is no.

After my first brew on a new rig I've been looking at the cheapest way to up the volume without buying bigger pots.
The concensus is don't bother and buy more gear. Awsome.

Cheers

Ross.

:lol: Just like at the end of an Elvis concert in the 70's, Ross has left the building & moved on about 25 replies ago.

Thankyou & goodnight.

Latest posts

Back