Is Sierra Nevada The Only Us Craft Beer In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does one define a craft beer?

I would have thought that the availability of a beer has to be related to the volume produced, or megaswillity, of the beer. I found SNPA in just about every bar I went into in the US, in the supermarket in the UK, and now over here too!

Not that I'm complaining about that, it's a lovely beer. I just hope they can maintain the quality!

Hey good question.

Over the last 3 to 5 years a lot has changed. The range of beer and the ease of availability is massively improved. Also has the general publics acceptance of new and different products is so much more in the main stream than ever before. I am not sure how relevant the terminolgy craft beer is? These days people are more savvy with the terminolgy about the actual beers type, Pale Ales, IPA's, Porters, Lagers, etc.

Having served beer at bitter & twisted over the last few years I have found the publics understanding of beer types to be quite good. I have also noticed that they will happily try something new and challenging, both men and women. And they know what they like.

Fear_n_loath

I've also seen Southern Tier, Dog Fish Head and Flying Dog at one of bottleos here.

I've also seen Southern Tier, Dog Fish Head and Flying Dog at one of bottleos here.

flying dog is an American Budweiser brand. They made a grape beer last year.

SNPA isn't that popular as it was. Brews like Founders and Surly are pushing the IBU drinkability limit.

I like me some IBUs however, IMO...there is some one-ups-manship by brewers and bragging by drinkers about how hoppy they are. Reminds me of the 1980's Buffalo Wing "how spicy can you stand?" fad.

US Craft beer with official distribution in Australia (not counting the Woolworths imports, since I have no idea if they are getting them direct from the BUL brewery that makes them, but they probably are):

- Sierra Nevada
- Green Flash
- Bear Republic
- Rogue
- Anderson Valley
- Coney Island
- Victory
- He Brew
- Moylans

Previously available in Australia legitimately:

- Southern Tier
- Flying Dog
- Random stuff that came direct from Stone as a one off

There are a few new ones likely to come out before the end of the year, too.

In the last few months North Coast Brewing Co. and Brooklyn Brewing beers have become freely available in SA.

These are being brought into Australia by Palais Imports according to the sticker on the back.

Hey Freezkat, just wondering if any Australian craft beers have made it to the USA?

Hey Freezkat, just wondering if any Australian craft beers have made it to the USA?

Not at my local shop but Coopers, James Boag's, Fosters, Dave and Cam,Sheaf Stout,Broken Hill

Are available in the US.

What should I be looking for?

i am a fan of coopers, bottle conditioned ales The pale ale or mild are my go to session beers, and i do enjoy the stout and sparkling ale also keep an eye out for the vintage it will be a one off annual release.

I saw a 6 pack of Coopers Pale for $12 in Seattle last year. Also some Boags. Nothing in the craft realm though.

Freezkat - keep your eyes open for "Mountain Goat" I see they have been having few tasting etc in the US. they would have to be one of the biggest craft breweries in Australia. Otherwise I dont what else has made over to the US. I know that Epic beer is apparently available as well, but that's from NZ.

Wingwalker, Dundee.

Not fantastic, but pretty cheap, considering they came in on the boat, and still taste better than anything JS are putting out at the moment.

Dundee IPA inspired Rajadom AIPA (which is light years better).

Goomba

Wingwalker, Dundee.

Not fantastic, but pretty cheap, considering they came in on the boat, and still taste better than anything JS are putting out at the moment.

Dundee IPA inspired Rajadom AIPA (which is light years better).

Goomba
Speaking of Odyssey, last year for me was the Doppelbock Hunt. This year will be the Aussie Beer Quest. Are the bottles good for refilling?

Speaking of Odyssey, last year for me was the Doppelbock Hunt. This year will be the Aussie Beer Quest. Are the bottles good for refilling?

Most craft beers are crown tops, so they're fine for refilling. Depends on whether you muck around with 330ml or not. Any brown crown top is fine. I'm not sure if this is what you meant?

Most craft beers are crown tops, so they're fine for refilling. Depends on whether you muck around with 330ml or not. Any brown crown top is fine. I'm not sure if this is what you meant?
Since most breweries in the US have gone away from returnable bottles they are very thin. I have snapped the neck on 3 bottles from Akita in one capping session. I put the rest in the bin.

Since most breweries in the US have gone away from returnable bottles they are very thin. I have snapped the neck on 3 bottles from Akita in one capping session. I put the rest in the bin.

Oh ok. I've never had a snapped neck from any of the bottles I've reused, if that's of any value to you. I only keep the brown/dark coloured crown tops. You can kind of get a feel for which bottles are better quality by the weight. I just opportunistically hang onto bottles that I discover to be heavier than usual. Interestingly, the mega brewery long necks are still thick brown glass - I just get them off mates or my grandpa haha

Coopers tallies are armour plated! But I have found Little Creatures 330s a bit on the thin side. I've gone a bit anal about what I'll keep lately; Coopers 750ml, Rekorderlig 500ml, German 500ml (with the sloping neck) and un-embossed craft 330ml. Oh and of course Groslch swingtops, but I've had one collection of them since I started brewing. Anything else goes in the recycle. Firstly because of broken necks, secondly because I got sick of adjusting the bench capper to all the different crown heights. Thankfully, since I live in hipsterville, I find about 5 or 6 Rekorderligs and/or Coopers tallies on the street most weeks, just riding to and from work etc.

Coopers tallies are armour plated! But I have found Little Creatures 330s a bit on the thin side. I've gone a bit anal about what I'll keep lately; Coopers 750ml, Rekorderlig 500ml, German 500ml (with the sloping neck) and un-embossed craft 330ml. Oh and of course Groslch swingtops, but I've had one collection of them since I started brewing. Anything else goes in the recycle. Firstly because of broken necks, secondly because I got sick of adjusting the bench capper to all the different crown heights. Thankfully, since I live in hipsterville, I find about 5 or 6 Rekorderligs and/or Coopers tallies on the street most weeks, just riding to and from work etc.

Oh yeah the Coopers are solid. Some of the CUB and Fosters ones are too. The Altenmunster 500ml swing tops are worth collecting. They're better than Grolsch because there 500ml, not 450ml and they are dark brown and not green. Certainly not Aussie though haha In terms of its taste, it's just a very inoffensive German lager. Not something I'd buy if it weren't for the bottles, but its still better than Grolsch too. People resell the bottles for 50% the price with beer in them!

Latest posts

Back