Is Secondary Cold-conditioning Necessary For Bottled Ales?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

len

Reaction score
I've been following a standard procedure with my ales
  1. Primary until the SG stops dropping, about a week
  2. Rack to another fermenter, still at room temperature, for two weeks
  3. Bulk prime and bottle
  4. Wait two weeks for carbonation
  5. Transfer bottles to fridge at normal fridge temperatures for at least a week
  6. Drink
I'm wondering if the second step is really necessary, given that the bottles will be refrigerated for a week anyway. And if so, if I should be putting the wort in a cube in the fridge? I get the impression that you'd skip secondary for cloudy beers like hefeweizen, but I'm not sure about clear beers like my current ESB.

I've seen a lot of signatures with ales in cold conditioning, I just don't know if it's necessary for bottled beers.

I'm trying to speed up the whole process so I can get more brewing done :D

cheers,
Len

Personally, I don't think it's necessary. Also by skipping secondary for ales you minimise contamination risk. Primary for two weeks though. I don't really think you need to keep the bottles in the fridge for a week before drinking, but it's up to your taste buds. Do a blind taste test experiment to see if you can notice the difference.

There's been a bit of discussion about this already here and here

I think the answer to your question is another question, What type of beer do you want?? If you are happy with a cloudier product/want that to fit in a certain style ale then no is your answer.

If you want a clear beer without filtering or polyclar or any of that stuff or if your ferment has been a bit temporamental a secondary might help kick that along and also help settle out your yeast, particularly if you have a low floccer.

You could also leave in your primary for a bit longer/chill that down a bit as well if you are able to leave the fermenter still and bottle without moving/stirring things up.

Horses for courses IMO.

I do the following.

1. Primary for one week
2. Secondary (rack to another fermenter) for one week (theres one week saved)
3. Bulk prime (with dextrose), bottle
4. Wait one week for carbonation (theres one more week saved)
5. Leave for as long as humanly possible (about 3-4 weeks for me) in a cool dark place.
6. Chill just prior to serving.

It works for me.

If my beer is clean and clear after primary, I skip secondary.

Some beers will really benifit from it, like a Koelsch or an APA/IPA with more dry hopping... but most ales are fine. I slowly drop secondary down to 2*C though. All of the floaties will fall into the sedimate of your fermenter, rather than your bottle.

Basically if I decide finnings are needed I do a secondary and add them there.

That said I usually leave my ales at primary.

Thanks to all for the info - for my current ESB I'll probably leave it in primary for two weeks, adding finings after seven days. I'm usually ok about leaving most of a batch in the fridge for a week or two before drinking, so that will settle out of lot of stuff.

I reckon I might invest in a cube/jerry to cold-condition lagers though.

Back