Is My Fridgemate Cactus?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
Easter barbecue involved a million bloody children running all about the place, some well behaved, some not. Went to my ferm fridge today, and noticed the temperature was up at 22. The fridgemate was set to 17, but the compressor wasn't kicking in. Everything else worked fine, including the "work" light, but the fridge just wasn't turning on. Reckon one of the little bastards couldn't help themselves after I said to them "stay away from the fridges"... And proceded to shake the box around a bit.

Turned the box over and noticed loose wires. Inspection of the screw terminals on the unit revealed arc scorching on the second terminal.

Before I order a new one today, I need to know for certain that the unit is definitely buggered.

Anyway, moral of the story: don't have children. :p

Easter barbecue involved a million bloody children running all about the place, some well behaved, some not. Went to my ferm fridge today, and noticed the temperature was up at 22. The fridgemate was set to 17, but the compressor wasn't kicking in. Everything else worked fine, including the "work" light, but the fridge just wasn't turning on. Reckon one of the little bastards couldn't help themselves after I said to them "stay away from the fridges"... And proceded to shake the box around a bit.

Turned the box over and noticed loose wires. Inspection of the screw terminals on the unit revealed arc scorching on the second terminal.

Before I order a new one today, I need to know for certain that the unit is definitely buggered.

Anyway, moral of the story: don't have children. :p

It'd probably be OK, unless it's burnt a component on the board.
Redo all the loose connections and see how it goes. If you can't get it going and going to chuck it, I'll pay for the post if you want to send it this way B) .
If the display is still working chances are it's still good, just a bad connection. Probably off the relay that turns the fridge on.

It'd probably be OK, unless it's burnt a component on the board.
Redo all the loose connections and see how it goes. If you can't get it going and going to chuck it, I'll pay for the post if you want to send it this way B) .
If the display is still working chances are it's still good, just a bad connection. Probably off the relay that turns the fridge on.

I've completely rewired it, still no dice. Display is working fine, if you want it send me a PM and we'll sort it out.

Cheers mate :D

Could one of the little scumbags altered the settings? If I were you I would check that out before turfing it.

Batz

Could one of the little scumbags altered the settings? If I were you I would check that out before turfing it.

Batz

God knows how, but I hadn't thought of that. I take it the compressor delay setting would be the one?

Before you throw it away, check to make sure that it's not the compressor in the fridge that is catcus instead. I've you've bastardised an extension cord for your fridgemate that should be easy otherwise good luck.

Ok, it's not the wiring or the settings, compressor is fine, so it seems like the fridgemate is cactus.

Ordered another one already, MCT, hit me up and I'll send my one your way.

My first AG too, an APA, was sitting at 1022 at this time yesterday, now its 1010. Hooray for fruit salad (maybe it will compliment the amarillo :rolleyes: ). At least the esters will be masked somewhat by the hops. Might need to cordon off my brewspace with cyclone fencing and a few rottweilers next time.

Why were you able to see live 240V wires bare by turning over the Fridgemate?

Sounds like your problem could have been much worse than it is!

Why were you able to see live 240V wires bare by turning over the Fridgemate?

Sounds like your problem could have been much worse than it is!

Yeah luckily I caught it this morning.

The connections were all screwed well and tight, and the 240 cables leading from the socket and to the fridge were fixed in place well with duct tape either side of the notches I cut in the box which isn't a problem if the box is on the table, but it appears as though someone slid the cables out and picked up the box to have a gander inside, not to mention have a tug at the guts of the unit.

Bloody kid could have killed himself.

My first AG too, an APA, was sitting at 1022 at this time yesterday, now its 1010. Hooray for fruit salad (maybe it will compliment the amarillo :rolleyes: ). At least the esters will be masked somewhat by the hops. Might need to cordon off my brewspace with cyclone fencing and a few rottweilers next time.

....Inge, don't stress, all you've done is give the beer a diacetyl rest....at 1022 you will have not added any unwanted esters with a temp rise, certainly not at 22c anyway,but will have helped reduce any yeast based diacetyl....if it was my beer it would be getting a temp rise at that stage in the ferment anyway and for a couple of days at least....i'm assuming you used US-05/ 1056....???

....the esters won't be masked by the hops, if you've got you recipe right they will combine and compliment each other....late addition amarillo will provide very fruity aromatics anyway....good luck...

...Cougar...

Inge,

"Bloody kid could have killed himself"??!!

Mate I'm pretty sure that if anyone was hurt from what you described you would be the one at fault, and liable.

When your new fridge mate turns up I would suggest doing a bit more permanent job of securing it, I mean how many fridges do you see with the 240v wiring secured with "duct tape"?

My suggestion would be at least a proper electrical junction box with a screw on lid and a couple of glands to pass the cables through.

Inge,

Mate I'm pretty sure that if anyone was hurt from what you described you would be the one at fault, and liable.

When your new fridge mate turns up I would suggest doing a bit more permanent job of securing it, I mean how many fridges do you see with the 240v wiring secured with "duct tape"?

My suggestion would be at least a proper electrical junction box with a screw on lid and a couple of glands to pass the cables through.

+1

I have a go at my kids as well when they are playing up, but trust me, if you lost one you would never forgive yourself!

Inge,

When your new fridge mate turns up I would suggest doing a bit more permanent job of securing it, I mean how many fridges do you see with the 240v wiring secured with "duct tape".

The duct tape was only used for stress relief so the 240v cables couldn't be pulled through the notches, as I had no cable ties kicking about. I will be picking up some zippy boxes this week to put them however, as the clip-close boxes I am using obviously won't cut the mustard.

Thanks for your advice and concern guys.

Back