Help Me Disable My Fermenting Fridges Internal Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is not that much of a big deal. Disconnect, thow away, bypass or whatever the built in controller and replace with an STC. The STC has a built in 10a relay so that is not a problem. Further upstream you should have circuit breakers and a safety switch so plenty of safety there.

All this assumes you have reasonable basic knowledge of basic wiring and are meticulous in what you do.

TBQH, I wire up heaps of stuff and solder all joints etc and go overboard with basic wiring regulations - they are available online - stuff that electricians would never do because it's just too costly and probably not all that necessary, I'm just fussy.

just remember you have cabinet voltage and motor voltage ,they could be the same or they could be different.
a sts and thermostates are diferent get it converted least ya can use it afterwards when ya work out its to small for ya brewing :) if it was me id be looiking up a fridgie
Drought

The thing with those fridges is, and I bypassed a fridge thermostat by the brute force route of simply connecting the wires using a terminal block, is that you are going to be pushing the fridge compressor past it's recommended operating range, cos they're crap.
The result is that it will be working a lot harder than it should and as a result it won't last too long.

I had that issue on a good fridge, an aldi special wine cooler just won't cut the mustard in my opinion.

The thing with those fridges is, and I bypassed a fridge thermostat by the brute force route of simply connecting the wires using a terminal block, is that you are going to be pushing the fridge compressor past it's recommended operating range, cos they're crap.
The result is that it will be working a lot harder than it should and as a result it won't last too long.

I had that issue on a good fridge, an aldi special wine cooler just won't cut the mustard in my opinion.

The STC1000 has a compressor delay timer built in. Set it at 15 or 20 munutes and then you're not overloading the compressor by having it cut in an out too often

It really is not that much of a big deal. Disconnect, thow away, bypass or whatever the built in controller and replace with an STC. The STC has a built in 10a relay so that is not a problem. Further upstream you should have circuit breakers and a safety switch so plenty of safety there.

All this assumes you have reasonable basic knowledge of basic wiring and are meticulous in what you do.

TBQH, I wire up heaps of stuff and solder all joints etc and go overboard with basic wiring regulations - they are available online - stuff that electricians would never do because it's just too costly and probably not all that necessary, I'm just fussy.

It is really much of a big deal when you electrocute yourself or someone else or your house burns down because you have no clue about electrical work.

I have no problems with anyone doing their own wiring if, as you say, they have a reasonable basic knowledge.

If their knowledge is adequate, they do not need to ask questions on a homebrew forum and receive sometimes less than accurate replies.

Electricity is not magic - it follows known laws. I asked the question to confirm my reasoning, not because I have totally no idea what I am on about, and to draw out any further advice anyone had about it. That further advise turned out to be the insurance issue that Jaypes mentioned. I had no idea about that before posting here, and that is why I will be taking it to a professional. This is more about the fact that insurance companies will wriggle out of anything, than about me being worried about electrocuting or setting on fire myself, or those I love.

Cheers,
Cam

ps. not having a go at anyone, just wanting to make sure my position is understood.

Electricity is not magic - it follows known laws. I asked the question to confirm my reasoning, not because I have totally no idea what I am on about, and to draw out any further advice anyone had about it. That further advise turned out to be the insurance issue that Jaypes mentioned. I had no idea about that before posting here, and that is why I will be taking it to a professional. This is more about the fact that insurance companies will wriggle out of anything, than about me being worried about electrocuting or setting on fire myself, or those I love.

Cheers,
Cam

ps. not having a go at anyone, just wanting to make sure my position is understood.

Plumbing is something that you can tackle yourself and most people do, of course within reason eg Gas. If it all goes pears then you have a leak.

With electricity, first you cant see it, second if it goes pears then you or someone else might die.

I used to rewire rebuilt houses due to faulty wiring causing fires - not a pretty sight at all

If you don't feel 100% confident doing it then don't do it. For those that have, or still do play with electronics as a hobby there is every chance they do have the confidence, ability and knowledge and will end up with a safe, predictable outcome.

Steve

I say wire it up and make sure the outside of the fridge is live unless the STC1000 is set to 26.4 degrees - that'll stop anyone messing with your fermenter. :)

Latest posts

Back