Is My Brew Cactus!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior Poet

Reaction score
Just questioning if my brew is not worth bottling, i came home today after work and just happened to stick my nose over the airlock to have a sniff and noticed a slight sulfur smell coming out of the airlock while it is bubbling. :(

I used a can of Rapid Creek Lager, two tea bags of Tettnager hops and a steeped bag of Crystal grain. Haven't tried this before and was a bit worried.

Everything was meticulously cleaned beforehand, just wondering if I should dump it before I go to the trouble of racking and bottling it. :blink:

Just questioning if my brew is not worth bottling, i came home today after work and just happened to stick my nose over the airlock to have a sniff and noticed a slight sulfur smell coming out of the airlock while it is bubbling. :(

I used a can of Rapid Creek Lager, two tea bags of Tettnager hops and a steeped bag of Crystal grain. Haven't tried this before and was a bit worried.

Everything was meticulously cleaned beforehand, just wondering if I should dump it before I go to the trouble of racking and bottling it. :blink:

You will get better answers than mine but some have said on here that they noticed sulphur smells from fermenting brews, (Coopers sparkling from memory), but they bottled and loved it.
Do an SG reading and taste the sample eh.

also what yeast are you using?

Pretty normal for a lager yeast, especially if temps are a bit high. What are your temps like?
I'd just keep it as close to 11c as possible and let it sit a bit longer....

If youre sure about your hygiene dont dump it yet. Wait til it fully ferments and have a taste of your smple jar (for F.G. test) Youll know straight away if she's a dumper.

Dont dump it. Lagers tend to produce a strong sulfur smell at times. I remember when i was about to bottle my Morgans blue mountain and i stuck my head in the fermenter to have a sniff and WOW! nearly blew my head off. Turned out to be one of my best beers to date. I highly doubt its any kind of infection, bottle and let us know how she goes!
-eddy-

I used the "lager" yeast that was supplied with the can and the temps are around 12-14.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes. :huh:

Thanks for your help fella's :) , this is a great forum!

I used the "lager" yeast that was supplied with the can and the temps are around 12-14.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how she goes. :huh:

Thanks for your help fella's :) , this is a great forum!

Sounds like its doing okay to me. Type "diacetyl" into search and look for info on why you would do a "diacetyl rest". Simple procedure of raising wort temp to let the yeast do its work.

Good brewing.

edit spelling and diacetyl inclusion.

If in doubt taste it see if its got any off flavours
lagers and even ales i have found when fermented in a confined space the sulphur smell is very strong but the beer is still ok

Back