Is My Beer Ready? (pic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julzmma

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just wondering if this reading is good enough? From memory it is ment to read between 1 and 1.10?

Picture.jpg

Sorry, but that pic's pretty funny.

Basically, once it stops dropping and you get the same reading over a few days, it's ready to bottle. It can't hurt to let it sit for a week.

It's ready to bottle when you get the same reading from your hydrometer over a 3 day period.
Ensuring it's the same over 3 days will mean that the fermentation has finished, and is more important than reading any specific number.

Yep, should read somewhere between 1.000 and 1.100, but thems pretty wide goalposts...

Gotta say it.
more like between 1.000 and 1.010... not 1.100.

We'll need more details mate. What went into the brew? What volume was the brew? What was your OG (original gravity)?

G'day Brew Baron. I know that we shouldn't answer a question with another question, but your answers will affect the answers you get back.

In general though, 3 days at the same gravity, and the yeast...she is finished! ;)

You don't actually work for Baron's Brewing do you? :lol:

Thanks all for the replys!

Was in a rush so I forgot to leave any details!

Its was just a kit draught and today was its 10th day in the fermenter. 3 days ago the reading was like 1018. I didnt get a OG because the instructions i got from the local brew shop didnt have it there. Only found out when i joined these forums :)

And no I dont work for any baron brewing... but where do i hand in my application???!!

So it was just the draught kit and a kilo of dextrose/sugar? I'd be looking at an FG of 1006-1008 for a 23 litre brew if that's the case. Can't make out what the SG is in the pick, whst it at now? Even if it's ready I'd suggest leaving it for a few more days anyway.

So it was just the draught kit and a kilo of dextrose/sugar? I'd be looking at an FG of 1006-1008 for a 23 litre brew if that's the case. Can't make out what the SG is in the pick, whst it at now? Even if it's ready I'd suggest leaving it for a few more days anyway.

Yeah just the draught kit with kilo of dextrose. Well the reading is 1 notch under the black... what is that?

I now see how dodgy this picture is, taken with iPhone in poor light!

Yeah just the draught kit with kilo of dextrose. Well the reading is 1 notch under the black... what is that?

After lots of "my airlock has stopped bubbling, is it ready?" questions, seeing this pic was just priceless. :D :beer:

Welcome to the forum too!
Pete

More importantly where have you been storing your brew during ferment. By the look of that picture its on your bedside table, which would be awesome except for temperature issues and divorce lawyers.

That'd be about 1.012

Hi,

I am just wondering if this reading is good enough? From memory it is ment to read between 1 and 1.10?

Depends on the ingredients you used and more importantly the yeast and its fermentability. If this is a kit you are probably a bit high still

Leave it another 3- 5 days it won't hurt (and if you've been clean, it will actually improve it)

It's ready to bottle when you get the same reading from your hydrometer over a 3 day period.
Ensuring it's the same over 3 days will mean that the fermentation has finished, and is more important than reading any specific number.

not if your temperatures are low and your yeast has just gone to sleep without full attenuation.

Contingent on it being roughly where expected FG is - a stuck/slow ferment can be 'stable' over 3 days or more.

Latest posts

Back