Is It Ready Or Stopped Fermenting?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolass

Reaction score
hi to all here at aussie home brew.

I joined tonight and this is not only my first post but my first home brew.
I would just like a bit of help.... guidance if possible.

i purchased a tooheys draught kit from bigw last week and followed directions to a T.
day 1 - 7 bubbled regular then stopped last night, with none at all today. (day 8)

I have taken hydrometer reading every 24 hrs and at the moment it is sitting on
1.025 ?? ( just off the orange section) and has been for the last 2 days.

I have read that a reading of the same 2 consecutive days is a sign it is ready to bottle.
but what confuses me is the reading is not near the green section of the hydrometer,
which states it is finished ...arrrghhh !!

how would I know if my brew has stopped or ready?
the time frame seems ok, the bubbling stopped and I have a dark sludgy ring
around the top of the liquid but have had trouble keeping it above 18 the last few days also.

I have read so much that my head is spinning and making me more confused.

a lot of help would be appreciated :)
thank you

PS: I have done a taste test at each reading and noticed a change in the flavour from a yeasty to a bittery taste.
is this normal?

All is well. Will post more in a sec, just reassuring you for now, as I am sure you are continually hitting refresh...

Edit: First of all welcome to AHB. There is much to be learnt, as everyone will say. Try to take in as much as you can. Have break, have a think, then return to read more and clarify.

As for your first brew. I am no expert, but I can tell you that the kit instructions are not the greatest ever written. True, they will make beer, but it won't be the true potential of the kit. As a rule, keep ales below 20 (18 is a good average) and largers below 14 (I have no experience here, but would many seem to aim for 10-12).

Things that will help us help you:
What else did you add to the brew? (I am not familiar with the instructions of the kit)
What yeast did you use? (I assume kit)
What was the original gravity?

It has stopped early, you need to warm it up somehow as the yeast has likely "gone into hibernation". It should get down near 1.010 or below.

AdamT is right on the money.
1.025 as you suspecte is too high.
You need to keep the brew at 18-22 degrees for those kit yeasts.
Stir the yeast by swirling the fermenter around and ensure a steady temperature.
Wrap it up in a jumper and put a hat on it LOL

Check your hydrometer in water it shoud read 1.000 or very close.
With those cheap hydrometer the paper inside tends to move and are never fully accurate.

And welcome to the Forum.

Welcome kimbo, and ditto what the other guys have said.

You'll find the taste will change from yeasty to more like a beer ('bittery') as it ferments, and yes, this is normal. The sugars from the malt are being converted into alcohol by the yeast, leaving a more bitter finish. That, and the yeast drops out of suspension when the beer is done or the fermentor is too cold.

The SG of 1.025 would suggest that you've a way to go, and that perhaps your fermentor is too cold. You may get anywhere from 1.005 to 1.015 for the final reading, depending on what you used for the ingredients. 1.008 to 1.0012 have been the more usual results for me in my earlier kit stages, but don't get hung up on it - what matters (like you've mentioned) is the consistent readings.

Hope all goes well, welcome to homebrewing! - boingk

EDIT: Holy mackerel...we've got 13,000 members? When did that happen? Where's my beer? Man alive!

[quote name='Adamt' post='527700' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:43 PM']It has stopped early, you need to warm it up somehow as the yeast has likely "gone into hibernation". It should get down near 1.010 or below.[/quote]

[quote name='matti' post='527704' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:56 PM']AdamT is right on the money.
1.025 as you suspecte is too high.
You need to keep the brew at 18-22 degrees for those kit yeasts.[/quote]

[quote name='boingk' post='527709' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:29 AM']Welcome kimbo, and ditto what the other guys have said.[/quote]

Come on guys, give the newbie a break and provide some constructive help. Generalisations like these will only confuse him, how about some input that will help him to learn.

Comments like these below from O'Henry will be helpful. We know nothing re what adjuncts he might have used and therefore the fermentability of his wort, or the OG. Nothing about his temp control if any and night time temps which might have put his yeast to sleep.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='527699' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:37 PM']Things that will help us help you:
What else did you add to the brew? (I am not familiar with the instructions of the kit)
What yeast did you use? (I assume kit)
What was the original gravity?[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Kimbo

Cheers,

Screwy

1025 is a bit high still, as per other comments you will need to awaken the yeast by warming the fermenter up to around 20 deg.

You can do this by placing your fermenter in the laundry sink, Then 1/4 fill the sink with hot tap water.

Keep an eye on the temp of your beer whilst doing this, you dont want it to get much over 22 degrees.

Other methods can include an electric blanket, heating pad, etc.

Whilst you are waiting for it to finish fermenting, take some time to read all the info in the Articles Section, in particular the New to Brewing Section.

Remember sanitation throughout and I am sure it shall taste great!

Welcome to AHB and the wonderful world of brewing :icon_cheers:

If it's been bubbling for 7 days I'd be doing a hydrometer test in cold tap water. Water = close to 1.000.

If it really is 1.025 - I'd be checking for activity in the brew. Open the lid a little and have a look at the brew's surface. Are there little bubbles rising? If yes, you have a problem with the seal on your fermenter. Don't worry about it - the net-outgoing of CO2 will prevent any bugs getting in. Bottle when it's close to 1.010 for three consecutive days.

If the surface of the brew is flat (with no little bubbles rising - but the occasional big bubble rising) and your hydrometer is correct. As above - your yeast have fallen asleep.

Latest posts

Back