Is It Possible

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hey All
Have mates coming around next Sundayfor birthday drinks, and want both kegs filled...
I have one full and ready, but dont want to put my LCPA from secondary into the Keg yet.
My question is am I pushing it to brew a basic Pale Ale tomorrow morning, ferment around 20-22 until sat morning, and then Keg and Carbonate ready to drink on Sunday, or is it not worth trying, and just leave it with the 1 keg?

Recipe ideas welcomed.

Cheers

Robbo

Its always worth a try, but I'd say you're pushing it. If you have a shot at it - and it sounds perfectly doable - just wait until the first one is empty before you crack the second ;)

If you rush it, the high ferment temp / quick ferment will make it taste like homebrew, ie.. 'the twang'.

Wouldn't do it, stick with quality, not quantity.

Cheers - Mike

Hey All

My question is am I pushing it to brew a basic Pale Ale tomorrow morning, ferment around 20-22 until sat morning, and then Keg and Carbonate ready to drink on Sunday,

Cheers

Robbo

If you want to impress your friends with green fruity twangy beer that puts em off HB for life then go for it!

maybe do a quick hefeweizen up.

they taste best as soon as they are fizzy. nice and fresh.

What about a Pale Ale Toucan with either 500 or 1kg of Dextrose with both yeast packets?
Cloudyness isnt going to be a factor and hopefully they all have enough in them by then that they wont notice how green it is...

Im gonna have to go with hell no on this one. Thats nowhere near enough time for the beer to condition... its gonna be green and horrible. Defiantly not worth it. If your short on beer, you'd be better off just going with commercial beers for this one...

I agree with Rother - don't f~(k up the HB perspshon by serving green beer. One week is not enough even for a wheat.

Go buy a couple of cases of good commercial beer and serve your good HB.

And next year plan better!

Hey All
Have mates coming around next Sundayfor birthday drinks, and want both kegs filled...
I have one full and ready, but dont want to put my LCPA from secondary into the Keg yet.
My question is am I pushing it to brew a basic Pale Ale tomorrow morning, ferment around 20-22 until sat morning, and then Keg and Carbonate ready to drink on Sunday, or is it not worth trying, and just leave it with the 1 keg?

Recipe ideas welcomed.

Cheers

Robbo

As has been said, wheat or small would be the way to go if at all.

I dont know how many people you'd be having around or how much you want to spend but if its a smaller number then maybe get a few micros that are similar to your beer and have a bit of a taste off. Could be fun rather than just a standard piss up. But then again I have been called a beer geek more than once:)

Think I am gonna give this a miss, and just not drink any till sunday and hope its enough.
Will also check how LCPA is going in secondary, may be ready to keg anyway.

Cheers for all the advice...
Just started to get some respect with my Home Brew with my Mates, so not keen to go and blow it.

Cheers and Beers

Robbo

I vote with Brewer_010 mate.

For a festive occasion make sure your HB is properly matured otherwise you could undo all your hard work so for.

I understand you can pick up 2 slabs of Hammer n Tongs for $50.

Have never tasted a kit based beer that is ready to drink in a week. They seem to need extra time to settle down, otherwise you get that green taste.

If you move onto AG, you do have some more options. Some styles do fine, seven days from grain to brain.

One week is not enough even for a wheat.

Au contraire! Seven days is plenty for a hefe. 1.040 50:50 wheat:pilsner grain bill with about 12-15IBU of noble hops and WLP300 is great after 7 days. I haven't tried this with wheat extract, but I don't see why not. The only trick is chilling it quick enough to get all the CO2 in.

If you move onto AG, you do have some more options.

I've had a bottled partial mash beer ready in 14 days. A dark mild, fermented with a double pitching of WLP002 then lightly primed and bottled in subbies. The roast malt somewhat disguised the yeast which hadn't fully dropped... but yeah, lots of options for a quick fresh beer.

Now that I think of it, the first beer I put in my kegs was a Cascade Pale Ale kit with a kg of DME and a big handful of hallertau. Fermented out OK in six days then kegged it and gassed up on the 7th. Can't recall the yeast tho. Tasted fine. A little green, but certainly not bad at all.

Seven days is plenty for a hefe. 1.040 50:50 wheat:pilsner grain bill with about 12-15IBU of noble hops and WLP300 is great after 7 days.

Yuck. I'll wait a few weeks thanks :p . I've tried AG hefders too and its just too green for me.
IMO early beers just aren't rounded enough to be truly enjoyable. Drinkable, maybe, but not enjoyable.
But I'm happy to be proved wrong - just haven't experienced it yet.
:beer:

Latest posts

Back