Is Any Level Of Aeration Bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Howard

Reaction score
G'day guys,

Thought I'd have a crack at adding some finings to a brew for the first time this evening to see what happens.

Dissolved the gelatin and added to fermenter trying to reduce splashing....probably 50mL of the total 250mL that went in created a splash so my question is...

Will that small amount of splashing lead to a discernable oxidation of the beer? I did a search on here but couldn't find anything definitive.

Cheers,

Adam.

G'day guys,

Thought I'd have a crack at adding some finings to a brew for the first time this evening to see what happens.

Dissolved the gelatin and added to fermenter trying to reduce splashing....probably 50mL of the total 250mL that went in created a splash so my question is...

Will that small amount of splashing lead to a discernable oxidation of the beer? I did a search on here but couldn't find anything definitive.

Cheers,

Adam.

G'day Adam,

Won't be a problem I wouldn't have thought considering the surface area of the beer at the top of your fermenter and the layer of CO2 that would be sitting on top of it.

We're talking a tiny splash when compared with the total batch size, so any oxidation would be negligable anyway.

Cheers,

Bumma.

I thought as much Bumma, a little splash in 23L, right up the top. Thanks for the reply :icon_cheers:

Hey Adam

Totally doubtski that you have caused any issue whatsoever!!

Have a homebrew or six!

Cheers
Adam

You know that there is a beer named after us in Innsbruk, Austria! Adambrau! Its a nice helles lager!

G'day guys,

Cheers,

Adam.

G'day guys,

Cheers,

Adam.

A. Yes. Even breathing in the same room as your beer will make it taste like cardboard in less than three weeks.

OR

B. Minimise your splashing as much as possible and forget about it beyond that. Enjoy your beer..

Multiple choice

How did you measure 50 mL?

You know that there is a beer named after us in Innsbruk, Austria! Adambrau! Its a nice helles lager!

Mad! I'll have to track some down. Purvis Cellars or Beerstore might have some.

Got a longneck of Centenarillo in the fridge waiting to be sampled tomorrow arvo. It's young (11 days) but I can't wait to try it. I was pleasantly surprised by the Brewcraft Munich Lager that I brewed first (I'd drink it before going anywhere near VB or Crownies) but it'll be nice to try the first 'proper' beer I've made. With another 35L sitting in fermenters at the moment I am starting to feel quite content.

Latest posts

Back