Is A Protein Rest Useful With Modern Uk Malts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raven: the man who has doughed into BribieG's urn :)
And it went very smoothly.

If I have more free time I could've hit up a few other brewers for similar brew time in sunny QLD too - maybe next time!

Great little setup too Bribie.

Back on topic - I have been mashing in purposely low (around the 50 -55 mark) then using the RIMS to ramp up within 5 minutes. Seems to work well for me atm, but I need to brew (and drink) more before I can make a reasonable judgement call on this.

Plus some brews I will use some raw wheat or raw barley in the grist (care of FIL's farm) - hence I force myself to extend the protein and mash times accordingly.

Fourstar has previously discussed some of the above I am sure, keen to read his thoughts on this topic when he sees it.

The temperature and extend of this rest depends on the degree of modification of the malt. Rest temperatures closer to 122 *F (50 *C) emphasize the generation of short length proteins (amino acids) and temperatures closer to 133 *F (55 *C) result in more medium chained proteins (good for head retention and body). Well modified modern malts, which already have higher levels of amino acids, may benefit from a protein rest closer to 133*F (55 *C) or don't require a protein rest at all.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Infusion_Mashing

damn right a short protein rest can be useful. A short protein rest results in good head and a nice body :eek:

Correlation or causation?

I have never done a protein rest and always get a big rocky head on my (maris otter) APAs - but I add wheat malt and crystal too.

Quick Q, if I wanted to know how well the grain I'm using is modified, would I be looking at just the amino acid levels as an indication of how well it is modified? Or are there other things to consider as well?

Correlation or causation?

I have never done a protein rest and always get a big rocky head on my (maris otter) APAs - but I add wheat malt and crystal too.

Rocky head is different to a tight head that laces IMHO...

I like to brew the ways that gives me the mouthfeel and head I think works well without using wheat or crystals, at least at the moment. I feel I get the same results from my method as others get from the addition of wheat and/or crystals. each to their own, find what works for you and go with it. I like the protein rest, I like to mash low for a dry finish...Of courses others may not like my beer, they may think it lacks something in the head or body, but I prefer it.

Rocky head is different to a tight head that laces IMHO...

I like to brew the ways that gives me the mouthfeel and head I think works well without using wheat or crystals, at least at the moment. I feel I get the same results from my method as others get from the addition of wheat and/or crystals. each to their own, find what works for you and go with it. I like the protein rest, I like to mash low for a dry finish...Of courses others may not like my beer, they may think it lacks something in the head or body, but I prefer it.

Fair enough, you're right; each to their own. I have no problems and don't protein rest but I'd be curious to see the difference with the same recipe on the same rig done two different ways...

Quick Q, if I wanted to know how well the grain I'm using is modified, would I be looking at just the amino acid levels as an indication of how well it is modified? Or are there other things to consider as well?
The coarse/fine difference is usually a good indicator, over 1% difference and you start thinking that the malt might be a bit underdone.

MHB

Back