Is a pommy allowed in?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeltz

Reaction score
I'm an all grain brewer from the UK and recently came across Vic Secret hops which impressed me a lot.

They are the 1st Aussie hop that I've used and it lead me to wonder about Australian craft beer so I tought I would come to the source and see how/what you guys brew.

Generally I do British and American style beers and I guess there will be a large crossover, but it strikes me that I've not come across pale ales termed as AuPA or AuIPA when they should probably exist!

Anyone wants to point me in the direction of some great Aussie hop based recipes?

American pale ale is popular with home brewers here also.

Try some Galaxy hops if you can get hold of them, they are an Aussie invention.

P.S. : The recipe tab at the top of the page might be the way to go. Hope that helps, cheers.

Aussie Pales use Pride of Ringwood or POR.

Its a hop that lends itself to bittering and mild aroma.

A good Ausdie pale would be using pale malt 5% light xtal and up to 10% wheat bittered to 35IBU with most of it being bittering additions with about 5-7IBU being flavour. With all POR.

A nice twist is to use POR and SAAZ.

Technically only if you and your spouse have skills we want and enough cash.

Then theres the rating system, this determines where your allowed to settle based upon the combined desirability ranking of you and your spouses occupations. Your allowed to resettle after 2 years.

Not as easy as it used to be huh?

Sorry couldnt resist.

Yep try Coopers Pale and Sparkling Ales.

Unfortunalty POR dominated our brewing scene for too long and only relatively recently better hops been beveloped, meaning there are currently no widely available commercial examples which have progressed a style.

If you like Vic Secret try also Topaz (sister hop) - Aroma or Dry Hop only. Galaxy has been mentioned and is excellent, but I must say you have stirred something up I have been contemplating for a while - Aussie Hop knowledge, most are so new there seems little current concencus.

Thanks for the warm welcome, plenty for me to be going on with there :D

Jaded and Bitter said:
Not as easy as it used to be huh?
LOL, not even if I turn up unannounced in a boat :p

POR is still a good hop, it just gets a bad wrap. If used with restraint it is great. Coppers ales are POR so it cant be that bad.

Latest posts

Back