Irish Stout recipe check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedWonder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been playing around with Iahn's spreadsheet and looking to put down my first brew that's not a pre-packaged recipe. It will also be my first attempt with more than one hop.

The recipe is:
Mangrove Jack's Irish Stout (2.2kg)
Beer Essentials Stout Booster #25 (which, judging by the look of it, looks to be 250g Maltodextrin, 750g Dark DME)
500g Treacle

10g Fuggles boiled for 20 min
10g Goldings boiled for 15 min
10g Fuggles boiled for 10 min
10g Goldings boiled for 5 min
5g Fuggles and 5g Goldings at 0 min (Or maybe dry hopped after primary ferment....dunno)

Add water to 23L

I also have a packet of Pearle, but I've pulled back on that because I think I've already gone a bit bananas with the hops.

I'll be bottling and priming with caster sugar, although I may turn it into another experiment and bulk prime for the first time.

Expected OG of 1.052 and expected FG of 1.014.

Am I being a little silly with the hops??
I'm kind of trying to use the whole packet of each hop so that I don't have to wrangle storing an open packet in the cupboard but also aiming for a good strong hop flavour.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BW

Hi BW

The mangrove jacks irish stout pack claims it will make up to 23l @ 4.9% itself. Your calculated OG and FG would result in 5% beer so it would appear that you are missing the bulk of your fermentables in the calc (i think booster pack and treacle add about 18 points). Forgive me if i turn out to be incorrect, it's been a few years since i last used Ianh's spreadsheet

The pack also lists 40-50 IBU, extra hops at 20min may add more bitterness which might be out of style... yet necessary to balance the extra fermentables if going ahead with the recipe.

I think that the recipe pack may be better used by itself unless you can re-adjust figures and confirm.

Lodan

hmm....yeah....this could all stem from my allergy to reading manuals or help files of any kind.
I've been just pushing buttons and entering random numbers into the spreadsheet and seeing what happens.

I'd figured that the 5% abv was due to the fermentables, but you're saying that the kit would get 4.9% on it's own, without fermentables....

Say it with me everybody
"frigging noobs"

I'm gonna play with the recipe a bit more and see what I can get to happen. Maybe boost the fermentables and drop the hops/duration.
I'd figured that the pack listing 40-50 IBU was a target IBU, not the final result of the kit itself.

Thanks for taking the time to set me aright.

Back to the drawing board!!
*signals to the oompa-loompas to down tools*

You have oompa-loompas...you lucky *******.

Yeah, but ever since they unionised it's been a frigging nightmare to get ANYTHING done....

Latest posts

Back