Irish Stout Kit Converter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekhenry

Reaction score
I just got my irish stout kit converter, i've never used one before and im a bit confused about the directions on the pack - I'll type everthing it says:

INSTRUCTIONS
To make this beer, you will only need a regular beer kit and the contents of this pack.
DO NOT USE ANY SUGAR + 600g Glucose
1.Mix the powder & grains in this bag woth 1 litre of water in a saucepan. DO NOT ADD THE HOPS
2.Heat , then boil gently for 15-20 minutes.
3.Add the hops then turn the heat off & let it stand for 10 minutes.
4.Pour through a fine strainer and add contents of the can.
5.Add 2-3 litres of hot water, mix throughly and add cold water to make 22.5 litres. Stir well.
6.Continue making your beer in the usual way.

ok so first off when it says + 600g glucose does that mean u need to add 600g glucose or make sure you dont add any?
Do not add the hops...what hops? there are none in my recipe but i thought theer was some in the kit converter but they cant mean that you have to seperate the hope from everything else in the bag can they?
i think that its.
Thanks in advance
Bek

I just got my irish stout kit converter, i've never used one before and im a bit confused about the directions on the pack - I'll type everthing it says:

Bek,

Is it a Grumpy's Masterbrew converter kit or a Brewcraft one or something else?

PB

The only label it has is my local home brew shop's label.
Bek

Surely ring them and ask them for directions if it's one of their own brand?? They'll set you straight. Sorry it's probably not the answer you were after (especially when they're most likely shut this time of night).

Surely ring them and ask them for directions if it's one of their own brand?? They'll set you straight. Sorry it's probably not the answer you were after (especially when they're most likely shut this time of night).

I rang at 6 and they didnt answer. You guys were my last hope to brew tonite :(
Bek

Which homebrew shop did you get them from?

What was in the kit?

I'm not really sure what advice to give you as I'm not 100% what ingredients you have

Which homebrew shop did you get them from?

What was in the kit?

I'm not really sure what advice to give you as I'm not 100% what ingredients you have

The shop is Kirrawee home brew.
I dont know exactly whats in the kit converter.
The recipe calls for:

1 can Muntons export stout
Brewcraft #74 irish kit converter
brewcraft #25 stout booster
1 pkt muntons gold yeast

Bek

The shop is Kirrawee home brew.
I dont know exactly whats in the kit converter.
The recipe calls for:

1 can Muntons export stout
Brewcraft #74 irish kit converter
brewcraft #25 stout booster
1 pkt muntons gold yeast

Bek

I've just finished my instructions for you and I thought I'd check the latest before I posted....

Bugger.......I made too many assumptions. :(

Maybe, I'll edit my response and post later.

Are you still brewing tonight?

PB

I've just finished my instructions for you and I thought I'd check the latest before I posted....

Bugger.......I made too many assumptions. :(

Maybe, I'll edit my response and post later.

Are you still brewing tonight?

PB

I'd really like to brew tonight - so any help will be greatly appreciated as im very quickly running out of stout :(
Bek

I'd really like to brew tonight - so any help will be greatly appreciated as im very quickly running out of stout :(
Bek

Bek,

1) I'm not sure of the exact make up of the kit, but assume from the product description and this label that you just use any lager/ale beer kit (not a stout one) in the recipe, the product you are describing, and 600g Dextrose (glucose). I think they are just pointing out not to use table sugar in your recipe.

Edit you wont need the dextrose sounds like there are plenty of fermentables in that lot.
And they are starting with a stout kit - Intersting
I've made the Muntons Irish Stout with less bling and it was still good.

2) The hops will probably be in a little plastic sachet or similar chucked in near the top of the kit. After you open your stout convertor kit - cast it aside for the moment.

3) To convert an ale or lager kit to a stout, the grain must be roasted barley + maybe others dark stuff.
Edit Stout will still call for RB. I dont like the instructions to boil the lot as this can lead to a very grainy tasting beer that you won't drink. I know this from experience.

Put a couple of litres of water at around 80 degrees in a saucepan and add the powder and grain mixture to it, mix and leave to "steep" for 20mins or so with the lid on. Not on a hot plate or anything.

4) Strain this mixture when done to remove the grain husks.

5) Boil this mixture for 15-20mins mins with some more water (lets say half fill your biggest saucepan), take off the heat, mix in the hops and stand for 10mins as suggested.

6) Strain again to remove hops, add contents of the can. (you can add the can contents earlier if you wish or even straight to the fermentor - whatever).

6) Cool in the usual way, add to you fermentor with the cold water and aerate....

7) Chuck in the yeast at the appropriate temperature.....

Good luck Bek - I love stout, I hope it's a good one.

Cheers,

PB

Bek,

1) I'm not sure of the exact make up of the kit, but assume from the product description and this label that you just use any lager/ale beer kit (not a stout one) in the recipe, the product you are describing, and 600g Dextrose (glucose). I think they are just pointing out not to use table sugar in your recipe.

Edit you won't need the dextrose sounds like there are plenty of fermentables in that lot.
And they are starting with a stout kit - Intersting
I've made the Muntons Irish Stout with less bling and it was still good.

2) The hops will probably be in a little plastic sachet or similar chucked in near the top of the kit. After you open your stout convertor kit - cast it aside for the moment.

3) To convert an ale or lager kit to a stout, the grain must be roasted barley + maybe others dark stuff.
Edit Stout will still call for RB. I don't like the instructions to boil the lot as this can lead to a very grainy tasting beer that you won't drink. I know this from experience.

Put a couple of litres of water at around 80 degrees in a saucepan and add the powder and grain mixture to it, mix and leave to "steep" for 20mins or so with the lid on. Not on a hot plate or anything.

4) Strain this mixture when done to remove the grain husks.

5) Boil this mixture for 15-20mins mins with some more water (lets say half fill your biggest saucepan), take off the heat, mix in the hops and stand for 10mins as suggested.

6) Strain again to remove hops, add contents of the can. (you can add the can contents earlier if you wish or even straight to the fermentor - whatever).

6) Cool in the usual way, add to you fermentor with the cold water and aerate....

7) Chuck in the yeast at the appropriate temperature.....

Good luck Bek - I love stout, I hope it's a good one.

Cheers,

PB

Thanks for the instructions PB, I'm heading to the kitchen as we speak! I've also bmade the straight muntons stout before but i thought id try this and see how it goes. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again and have a good night!
Bek

Top response PB

Thanks Phonos,

I looked around the AHB site for awhile before I posted anything.

I have learned alot from some great brewers, so now it's my turn to contribute a bit. I've been trying to post more lately to assist people and give them a laugh.

Besides am a real sucker for a nice stout - so I just had to help.

PB :chug:

Latest posts

Back