Ipa With A Belgian Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tintin

Reaction score
I've got a nice big starter of Wyeast 1388 in the fridge and a hankering to do a IPA. Anyone used this yeast in a English strong ale? I can't see it doing any harm, but thought I'd better check.

Have a look at brew like a monk, whilst mainly a Pils base theres a few belgiums that are hoppie and on bittering and flavour.

Scotty

I put some T-58 into an IPA when I realised my WLP023 starter was too small. It's still in primary, but the sample I tasted when it fermented out was promising.

I have a belgian pale ale in secondary that is lightly bittered but heavily hopped. The hop profile is working well with the yeast (3787) but I am not sure how much I would like a high bitterness on top of that.

I'm going to be brewing a Belgian IPA/Tripel in the next few weeks. I've attempted it once before, but I had a few issues with volumes (second AG brew). I'll be using roughly 45% Pale, 45% Pils, 10% Sucrose, with Columbus for bittering (~ 50 IBU), Saaz for flavour (~ 10 IBU) and Amarillo dry hopping. 3522 Yeast.

I'm going to be brewing a Belgian IPA/Tripel in the next few weeks. I've attempted it once before, but I had a few issues with volumes (second AG brew). I'll be using roughly 45% Pale, 45% Pils, 10% Sucrose, with Columbus for bittering (~ 50 IBU), Saaz for flavour (~ 10 IBU) and Amarillo dry hopping. 3522 Yeast.

A Tripel with Columbus around 50 IBU to bitter? I know you have tried more Belgians than most of us on this board combined, but don't you think that Columbus at that level would be too harsh? I think it would overpower any Saaz additions. Are there any Tripels which use Columbus to bitter at those levels?

Just curious.

Cheers.

A Tripel with Columbus around 50 IBU to bitter? I know you have tried more Belgians than most of us on this board combined, but don't you think that Columbus at that level would be too harsh? I think it would overpower any Saaz additions. Are there any Tripels which use Columbus to bitter at those levels?

Just curious.

Cheers.

Achouffe Houblon is 59 IBU, and the basis for the recipe. They use columbus for bittering, saaz for flavour/aroma and dry hop with amarillo.

I've just checked my recipe, theres 30 IBU worth at the 75 min mark, 25 at the 30 min mark, and 5 IBU from the saaz at the 10 min mark.

Seems like a lot, but in IIPA terms (expecially with a 1.092 OG) it's not that much :)

edit: I should also note I'll be using about 60g worth of Saaz at the 10 min mark. I think there will be plenty of saaz flavour :)

I'll post the recipe in the original Houblon thread and see what people think.

Houblon Dobbelen is the tripel that's like that, Duff. (Not that I've tried it.) I made it (using the last of my Columbus) but it got infected and it was on its way to the ocean. :(

Sweet, thanks Kook and Stuster.

I have a bit of stock of those hops, might give it a go myself.

Cheers.

Sweet, thanks Kook and Stuster.

I have a bit of stock of those hops, might give it a go myself.

Cheers.

I've only tried it twice, but really enjoyed it on both occasions. Think big, estery tripel with intense spicy hop flavours, along with a big amarillo aroma.

Another interesting (and similar) example is Hop-It, from Urthel. They use Magnum, Spalt & Saaz. It's not as juicy and floral IMO, but still really damn tasty. They claim 80 IBU :eek: Pretty high for a Belgian beer.

Sorry to resurrect such an old topic, but I've been inspired to brew a Belgian IPA.
Wondering how your turned out Kook.

I'm liking some of the other mentions of this style here and here.
I have plenty of active Belgian yeast at the moment too.

Doc

My results were all far too bitter. I think that Achouffe may overstate the IBUs, or it could be an issue of water chemistry.

I'd stick to more like 35-40 IBUs. Flavour hops were all about right, though I also overdid the dry hops. 30g would be fine in an 18L batch, I think I used 120g? :p

Otherwise it's no different to any other Belgian (keep the yeast in control).

I just did a IIPA hopbursted to 100+ IBU with fresh Galaxy, 5L of overshoot was pitched with Chouffe, UNibrou and CHimay yeast blend, results: not bad at all, Id pay $ for a bottle of this if it was a commercial beer.

Alright. Have my inspiration.
Will get the grain bill together tomorrow and "Brew On".

Doc

over the last 3 years i have brewed more belgian IPAs than any other style - pretty much my house brew now. ever since i had this beer
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-ranke-xx-bitter/9183/
i had to do it. and of course there's orval and westvleteren blond which are great examples of hops and belgian yeast combining tastily.

100% maris otter to 1060, 200g or so of styrian/goldings/saaz mix and wlp530 turns out nice.
or for a lighter/paler version, 100% weyermann pils to 1050, 300g or so of hersbrucker/saaz, wlp3711 and orval dregs is good too...

Not sure if this what you are chasing but I remember hearing about this beer on a Basic Brewing podcast earlier in the year.

A similar beer (Captain Lawrence? Xtra Gold or something like that) was mentioned favourably on the Brewing Network recently.

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/sea...american+tripel

hope the link works

Kev

and of course there's orval and westvleteren blond which are great examples of hops and belgian yeast combining tastily.

+1.

Obviously a Belgian IPA should be a hoppier version of a standard Belgian Pale Ale. Given that a Belgian Pale Ale (Link) only goes up to 30 IBU's, your Westy Blond clone is already in Belgian IPA territory.

PS. I love adding "+1" to posts.

dunno if many belgian brewers know their bjcp guidelines!
the cool thing is everybody's assumed for years that hops and phenolic yeasts don't work together, but now there's heaps of great beers around to show that they can.

I've always been of the understanding that Belgian brewers don't really care about 'guidelines.' ;)

Back