Ipa Recipe.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Hey I got a few hops here left over and need to put a big dent in them.

Ok I doing 42 lt batch and will be no chilling.

Aiming for about 1060OG with

10kg ale
1kg wheat
500g carahell

Hops I have is:
Willamette 50g
Nelson sav (I think could be cascade as the label feel off and been about 8 months since I used it) 150g
sapire 265g
nz fuggles 100g (was planning to do a lager with this so was going to leave it out unless others think it will work)

Hop schedule I am thinking of is this (hops will be added 10 mins later to compensate with no chill)

50g NS @ 20
20g Will @ 20
50g Sap @20
20g NS @ 10
20g Sap @ 10
10g Will @ 10
50g NS @ 5
50g Sap @ 5
20g Will @ 5

Then taste in the fermenter and dry hop if needed but I am guessing this will smack you in the face. It calculates about 43IBU I dont like over bitter beers but dont mind a IPA every now and then so will have to get use to drinking them more often :p

How will you do 5 minute additions with no chill?

well I was thinking 5 mins with whirlpool, 10 mins flame out and 20 at 10

Generally people calc cube additions as 10 minute additions. Maybe try tea hopping or Argon's no chill hopping method if you want ultra late hop character. I reckon cube hopping plus dry hopping might work very well though.

Edit: YMMV

50g NS @ 20
20g Will @ 20
50g Sap @20
20g NS @ 10
20g Sap @ 10
10g Will @ 10
50g NS @ 5
50g Sap @ 5
20g Will @ 5

Then taste in the fermenter and dry hop if needed but I am guessing this will smack you in the face. It calculates about 43IBU I dont like over bitter beers but dont mind a IPA every now and then so will have to get use to drinking them more often :p

No, 43IBU won't "smack you in the face" (unless your beer of choice is Pure Blonde). None of those hops strike me as something I'd use in an IPA (well, maybe NS) much less the 1kg of wheat. Perhaps check the recipe DB to get an idea about additions and malts required?

I reckon in those quantities late, those hops and malt will be fine. Up it to 50 IBU though and don't calc anything to do with no chill as a 5 minute addition, it just wont be.

yes its not a traditional IPA more a 10min IPA, I want more flavour then bitterness and all of the hops say they are good late in the boil rather then early. so JB you think up it to 50 but dont calculate the 5mins?? I mean I want this palatable as possible at xmas but that said it will only be me and dad drinking it (well mum may have a few) but we are the only ones that like to adventure when it comes to beer.

Wit wonder 43IBU is double that of pure blond and I mean flavour wise not bitter wise. I doubt that pure blonde would put equivalent to 290g of hops into there beer and thats before even considering dry hopping.

Yeah, seriously. I calc'd my 10 minute IPA at 60 IBU and it's less bitter (apparent bitternes, maybe not technical IBU) than feral hop hog which is at 48 ibu I believe.

If you are going for that vibe, just throw them all in the cube and calculate that as a 10 minute addition. It makes a VERY hoppy beer, to be honest.

so you say calculate all as 10 min and just throw them all in the cube to about 50IBU?? What is your process once flames out?? as I suspect that is the biggest thing? I wait 20 mins then whirlpool wait another 20 mins or so then I cube

I dont think many people do that when no chilling. 40 minutes sitting there in the kettle all up seems like ages to me... anyone else?

I just turn gas off, put hops in cube, then whirlpool. Once it stops spinning I siphon into the cube. No idea what everyone else does, but it worked for me. I got beer, and it tastes hoppy.

yeah I always wait for convection to stop can be 10 mins can be 20 mins. Usually 20 mins with 47lts of wort in the pot and covered. I never had a problem but I clean and sanitise my cubes well and only done it to 4 brews (8 cubes) so maybe it may catch up on me. I dare say its still over 80 deg when I cube it

I wait 15 mins, then whirlpool and wait 30mins. The wort is probably 85-90c in the kettle at that point.

I wait 15 mins, then whirlpool and wait 30mins. The wort is probably 85-90c in the kettle at that point.

Digging again...

Because the wort is still at 85-90 degrees, do you calculate that as addition + 45 minutes?

I've notcied when no chilling and whirlpooling that my wort is still at 95c an hour after the boil. Do I calculate a 10 minute addition as 25 minutes or 60+ minutes?

I calculate it as an additional 15mins. If you use brewmate it has a checkbox that will automatically add 15mins to all your additions.

I add 10 mins to my late additions, but that's probably up to personal preference. Play around with the times in the software, see how the beer turns out and then you can fine tune it to your taste/system.

I take my hops out when they're done cookin'.

I use brewmate, and I check the "no chill" box.
Generally wait 20 mins after boil to whirlpool, then another 20 to cube.
Getting good bittering, but a bit disappointed with the flavour / aroma hops.
When should I add them for my process?

But whether or not the hops are removed from the wort the acids are insommerised which keeps contributing bitterness. So when no chilling and flameout hops are added, most would plug this into their software as a 10-20 minute addition.

If you were to wait say 30 minutes for the convection currents to stop then whirlpool and wait another 30 minutes for everything to settle out then find you get a reading of 95C then theoretically havnt you just added another 60 minutes of insomerisation to your hops, in term adding bitterness?

Some crazy mofo no chillers add 10 minute additions at, wait for it............. 10 minutes left in the boil :eek:

Some of them even do 10 minute APA, IPA's, and even IIPA's like that :eek:

Some crazy mofo no chillers add 10 minute additions at, wait for it............. 10 minutes left in the boil :eek:

Some of them even do 10 minute APA, IPA's, and even IIPA's like that :eek:

lol.. The only thing i change is the 0, min additions, they go in with 5 mins before whirlpool. (15 min rest @ flame out)

My 20, 10, and 5 min additions are what they say they are, i seem to be.getting plenty of flavour. I must say though that ive moved.my 60 min to 40 min amd quite like it there.

Yob

Latest posts

Back