Ipa Recipe Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
I'll be making an American IPA with the following grain bill (20 litres)

4kg Alt Malt (BB)
1.7kg Munich 2
150g Caramunich 2

I have access to the following hops (that suit the style)

Willamette
Cascade
Amarillo
Columbus
Chinook
Citra
Simcoe
Centenial

I know the first five hops very well however I have never used Citra, Simcoe or Centenial. I know they are rated highly etc.

What would YOU do as your hop bill? Without being silly and saying 120 minute IPA, or single hop IPA etc. I want to use a combination of hops, maybe at least 3 anywhere up to using all 8.

I don't want it to be extreme or anything, just somewhere between maybe 60 and 80 IBU

And I'll be dry hopping with at least 80 grams as well so include dry hop additions.

Just had an idea, I could call it the C-SAW IPA and use all 5 C hops in the boil and then Simcoe, Amarillo, Willamette as dry hops.

Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe... you could also sub Centennial for Cascade for more punch. But if you use Simcoe (which you must) it will come through more than the others.

Same as in this

even amounts to about 80IBU;
@ 60
@ 30
@ 15
@ 10
@ 0
Dry hop as much as you can

Also i'd add more crystal... closer to 10% IMO

Chinook, Cascade and Simcoe... you could also sub Centennial for Cascade for more punch. But if you use Simcoe (which you must) it will come through more than the others.

Same as in this

even amounts to about 80IBU;
@ 60
@ 30
@ 15
@ 10
@ 0
Dry hop as much as you can

Also i'd add more crystal... closer to 10% IMO

Cheers mate. Do you think less is more with regards to this? As in adding more hop varieties will just complicate it. I love piney IPA's so the above hop schedule will definitely suit.

I'm not a big fan of crystal in IPA's, I only put that amount in for balance. I'll mash it a bit higher as well.

I would go tiny amout (maybe 10g) at 60 mins (thirstyboy posted a week or so ago about this helping when boiling)

then the rest at 15 and 5mins + dry hop

Personally I would use all Simcoe and Citra late in equal quanities and any other hop for the 60min addition.

Also, I try and match my OG with my IBU's. ie. 1.060 and 60IBUs, 1.075 and 75IBUs

ill try and locate my recipe for my Citra and Simcoe IPA...

Cheers mate. Do you think less is more with regards to this? As in adding more hop varieties will just complicate it. I love piney IPA's so the above hop schedule will definitely suit.

I'm not a big fan of crystal in IPA's, I only put that amount in for balance. I'll mash it a bit higher as well.

Yeah mashing higher is a good idea... but i quite like a bit of crystal and something else for added complexity and to offset some of the bitterness.

You'll definitely get that pineyness from those 3 hops. sometimes a touch of Amarillo in the dry hop works as well to add some of that rounded stonefruit to the pine.

I must reinforce though... dry hop as much as you can. :icon_drool2:

Citra, Centennial and Simcoe.

Have a look at this Lord Nelson Citra

If you scroll down, the Nelson Sauvin free version is listed in the comments.

Replace Galaxy with Simcoe, Cascade with Centennial and then bitter at 60m to convert to an IPA.

Goomba

I make an apa/amber (around 58 IBU) using centennial, chinook and amarillo. I have replaced the centennial with cascade before with good results.

Back off a bit on the malt (mine uses a bit of crystal and munich) and up the abv (from memory it's probably around 6.5%) and hop schedule and it would be in IPA territory.

Can link you to the recipe if interested.

Anyway cascade, centennial, amarillo and chinook will all combine well to give bitter citrus (grapefruit) sweet citrus (mandarin) and nice piney resin from the chinook.

Latest posts

Back