Ipa Or English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time using DME, shit that stuff is hard to dissolve! Must have spent 10 minute stirring to get rid of the lumps.
You should use hot water to dissolve DME, not necessarily boiling, but certainly hot. I fridge a few litres of filtered water overnight to offset the heat of the dissolved DME.

You should use hot water to dissolve DME, not necessarily boiling, but certainly hot. I fridge a few litres of filtered water overnight to offset the heat of the dissolved DME.

I did. I boiled 2L of water, threw it into the FV then stirred in the DME...for 10 minutes.

Just had a look (no I didn't take the lid off) there is a massive amount of foam on top, a good inch or two, it's only been a couple of hours. I've never seen that much before. Is that just a furious fermentation or could it be the starsan?

I'm not worried, just curious.

Actually DME dissolves better in coldish water. Don't ask me why just try it.

I add the DME to cold water in the fermenter before dumping in the hot can of goop no problem with clumping.

Actually DME dissolves better in coldish water. Don't ask me why just try it.

I add the DME to cold water in the fermenter before dumping in the hot can of goop no problem with clumping.

I might try that next time, it was a real PITA.

Looks to have settled down now, I thought it might have been sanstar foam, I've never used it before.

Might dry hop some of the Cascade pellets that I've got sitting in the freezer once the fermentation is done. Any ideas as to how much?

I think I read here somewhere that a general rule of thumb is 1 gram of hops per litre of beer, sound about right? Just throw in 20 grams of pellets into the FV?

I find that the Coopers DME added at the end of a boil makes hard lumpy "lollies" but with the DME I get from Craftbrewer I can chuck a Kg in 3.5 L of water at the end of the boil and it almost dissolves itself.

Damian.

Got it bottled on Saturday, tasted it and it was no where near as strong and bitter as I thought (hoped) it would be. Maybe that will change in time.

Can wait to try it in a few weeks time. :)

Back