Ipa Or English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i was going to say i havn't seen a tin of Mangrove Jacks IPA before. i would probably try to find the coopers IPA or maybe try the MORGANS IPA Kit, it's nice aswell.

Pitching at 30?! :eek: I thought low 20s was the idea temp...at least that's where I try to pitch (in my vast experience :lol: ), and try to keep it there - generally between 18 and 22c..give or take a degree or two.

Anyway...the pouch! Never seen such a thing

you're spot on - pitch where you need to ferment

in my earlier days..... before i knew better, would just mix everything up in a saucepan and into the fermenter with room/pipe temperature water.

you'd be amazed at how hot a pot of boiling stuff + 17 litres of room temp water can be! so now i use ice/chilled water to get where i need to be.

i've done a few kits that were packed strange.. a 'half' fresh wort kit from Canada (was a 10 litre goon bag) and a plastic bucket of goop from Countrybrewer... let us know how the pouch works out.

I too rate the Coopers IPA as one of the best kits out there. I'll be grabbing a couple cans from Beerbelly this week...

I pretty much always do a small boil for my hop additions ( I struggle using anything other than Galaxy lately - i'm addicted to it) , and if you're going to a LHBS for hops then I'd highly recommend using malt (either liquid or dry) rather than dextrose or brew enhancers.

My favourite recipe so far

1 can IPA
1 can liquid amber malt (or can use light malt - dried or liquid is fine)
20 - 30 grams of hop pellets (split into 3 even portions)

make up a 10:1 ratio boil ie 3 litres of water to 300g malt or 5 litres of water to 500g malt - you get the idea

(i don't boil the kits - heard about isohops in them going stupid so i don't just in case)

once it's boiing I go for 1/3 hops at 20 mins, 1/3 hops at 10mins and 1/3 hops at 0 mins (when you turn the flame off)

once off the flame i add all the remaining goop (kit and malt) and dump the whole lot into the fermenter with a bag of ice (my version of wort chilling) top it up with cold water, hope for a temp of around 20 celsius and add either Nottingham or Safale US05 and let go at 18 degrees for 2 weeks. good quality yeast is worth buying from the LHBS too :)

good luck, I think mini boils are the way to go for flavour.

Quick question around the boil:

You boil 500g malt, and the hops over 1/2 an hour. What type of hops pellets do you use?

Once off the flame you add the goop and more malt. How much is the second set of malt another 500g?

Also do you add any dextrose or just the malt is fine?

Quick question around the boil:

You boil 500g malt, and the hops over 1/2 an hour. What type of hops pellets do you use?

Once off the flame you add the goop and more malt. How much is the second set of malt another 500g?

Also do you add any dextrose or just the malt is fine?

I pretty much always use Galaxy.. but cascade would work with an IPA i reckon.. possbily fuggles? it's all personal hop taste..

if you're using 1kg dried malt, and want to do a 5 litre boil, use 500g in the boil then remaining 500g after flame out. or you can use 300g in a 3 litre boil and add 700 after flame out, just try and stick with the 10:1 ratio for boiling (water:malt)

if using a tin of liquid malt, use the same ratio and just add the rest of the tin after flame out..

I don't use dextrose, just the malt is fine.

I got the Coopers IPA online with 1kg DME and 1kg Dextrose. I'm considering doing it the way the the Coopers website recommends for an "Authentic IPA" - http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-g ... hentic-ipa

Ingredients (Only 20 Litres)
1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA
1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt
500g Sugar or Dextrose

Sounds like it's pretty hoppy on it's own but someone gave me a new packet of Cascade (NZ) hops and am wondering if these will work as a late boil for flavour/aroma or even dry hopping? If not I'll just freeze them for another day. :)

Sounds like it's pretty hoppy on it's own but someone gave me a new packet of Cascade (NZ) hops and am wondering if these will work as a late boil for flavour/aroma or even dry hopping? If not I'll just freeze them for another day. :)

They surely will. Late boil or dry hopping will be fine, but why not both, I say?

As a sidenote, an IPA can virtually never be "too hoppy" with any remotely reasonable amount of hops. The IPA style is intended to be an explosion of hoptastic delights. Take a look at the BJCP guidelines for a better idea of what you're trying to achieve.

I got the Coopers IPA online with 1kg DME and 1kg Dextrose. I'm considering doing it the way the the Coopers website recommends for an "Authentic IPA" - http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-g ... hentic-ipa

Ingredients (Only 20 Litres)
1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA
1kg Coopers Light Dry Malt
500g Sugar or Dextrose
0.5kg Dry Wheat Malt

that 500g of DEX is out of place if you ask me... Id be dropping it from the recipe.

Go nutz with the Hops

wbosher, if I was me I'd want to get a bit more flavour from the hops for this kit and would be steeping or doing a short boil. Dry hopping will work though. Good luck.

Bum suggested a short boil/steep, so might try that.

that 500g of DEX is out of place if you ask me... Id be dropping it from the recipe.

Go nutz with the Hops

According to that awesome spreadsheet floating around these parts, if I take out the dex, the alcohol content lowers quite significantly. Would leaving it there have adverse effects?

I've not done an IPA for a while, but replacing the Light Dry malt with a 1.5 kg can of light malt extract
and boil in your cascade for 10 min would be a great way to brew it up.

Alternatively keep the Cascade for another brew; I enjoy it with a Canadian Blonde kit;
and boost your IPA with Fuggles which may work better with the IPA kit.

I've not done an IPA for a while, but replacing the Light Dry malt with a 1.5 kg can of light malt extract
and boil in your cascade for 10 min would be a great way to brew it up.

Alternatively keep the Cascade for another brew; I enjoy it with a Canadian Blonde kit;
and boost your IPA with Fuggles which may work better with the IPA kit.

I've already ordered the LDME and it on it's way, so will just have to use that this time. The hops were given to me only really looking for an excuse to use them. :lol:

According to that awesome spreadsheet floating around these parts, if I take out the dex, the alcohol content lowers quite significantly. Would leaving it there have adverse effects?

Dex tends to thin a beer out, with an IPA you dont really want a thin beer, nice and thick and malt and all up in your face with hops. When playing with kits i noticed a vast improvement when i limited my dex to a max of 300g (or even better.. None at all) IMO dex is a bitch in kit brews, sure you get more alcohol from it but it comes at a high price.

That said I havnt brewed the kit IPA.

I've already ordered the LDME and it on it's way, so will just have to use that this time.
I wouldn't stress, the only real difference is water. Not sure why robbo suggests it as an improvement.

That said I havnt brewed the kit IPA.
I made a fairly chewy version of this tin once (2kg LDME, 300g crystal) and I would definitely sub out for some dex if I were to do the same beer again. I agree that 500g dex to 1kg LDME is a bit out of balance but if the kick is more important than the balance then I think it'll do the job and he'll still see a big difference if this is his first use of LDME.

Think I'm going to try:

1 can Coopers IPA
1.5kg Liquid Amber Malt
30 g Galaxy in small boil.

US-05 yeast.

Bottling on the weekend, so will probably try get it fermenting next week. Hoping it goes well and tastes great.

I made a fairly chewy version of this tin once (2kg LDME, 300g crystal) and I would definitely sub out for some dex if I were to do the same beer again. I agree that 500g dex to 1kg LDME is a bit out of balance but if the kick is more important than the balance then I think it'll do the job and he'll still see a big difference if this is his first use of LDME.

I'm making the 20L version as opposed to the "Normal" 23L one, so I would think that the lower water contant will thicken it up and balance out the extra dex?

My thinking is to do it by the book according to the recipe on the Coopers website, and see how it tastes. Once I know how that one goes, then I can play around with it.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how she travels.

90g of Fuggles. Worked nicely enough but would use EKG and/or Styrian if I went that big with it again.

Just put the IPA on, went with the 20L one on the Coopers website with no added hops this time. I was going to rehydrate the yeast but ended up just sprinkling.

First time using DME, shit that stuff is hard to dissolve! Must have spent 10 minute stirring to get rid of the lumps.

Got myself some starsan, I am now converted. Made life SO much easier! Sanitised everything, even the can opener and my hands. :lol:

I forgot to take an OG reading, but I can live with that.

Sitting nicely at 22c but that will come down a little, now the hard part...waiting...

Latest posts

Back