Ipa Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given two 250g bags of Dried Oat Extract by a friend who was going to use them in an oatmeal stout, but never got around to it.

According to the packet, it says its great for oatmeal stouts, porters and all English ales.

I saw this stuff on the CraftBrewer website and was wondering what it's uses were.
Nobody replied to the thread I started on it but it sure sounds like I need to try it out.

Can I say that your recipe made me feel all funny in the front of my pants. I would definitely drink that beer.

On the bittering, simcoe is a great idea, but if you after a more aggressive/resiny bitterness (that may also weed out some potential drinkers), you could consider chinook or northern brewer.

How many $ are you spending on hops? and you're using the old Coopers yeast!!

At very least get a sachet of something better, but with all that effort you really should consider liquid yeast.

Split it into 3 or 4 and grow a starter and it then costs around the same as the dried sachets, particularly
making 50 litres at a time! making me thirsty just thinking about it..

Just my 2c worth.

A mate gave me 500ml of slurry from his liquid yeast brew and it made the best beer I've ever been able to produce.

How many $ are you spending on hops? and you're using the old Coopers yeast!!

At very least get a sachet of something better, but with all that effort you really should consider liquid yeast.

After some earlier comments, I'll be using safale US-05 now instead of the coopers yeast.

I use oats to between 1.5-2.5% of the bill for most of my beers, I love the smooth character they impart. What is the percentage of oat extract in your current recipe?

I use oats to between 1.5-2.5% of the bill for most of my beers, I love the smooth character they impart. What is the percentage of oat extract in your current recipe?
If I use 250g its 2.04%, but if I use the whole 500g its 4.0%.

Would the 500g make it to thick?

For me, over doing the oats is more about the alteration of the taste than making it too thick (I just mash at a lower temp to help thin the body out). Obviously in an oatmeal stout it works really well, but I have over-done them in pale ales before and I personally found that they didn't work so well in that style. The oat-forward flavour just didn't go well with the citrusy hops I was using. You might find the same thing in your IPA, but it's really down to personal preference.

For me, over doing the oats is more about the alteration of the taste than making it too thick (I just mash at a lower temp to help thin the body out). Obviously in an oatmeal stout it works really well, but I have over-done them in pale ales before and I personally found that they didn't work so well in that style. The oat-forward flavour just didn't go well with the citrusy hops I was using. You might find the same thing in your IPA, but it's really down to personal preference.
Is there anything else I can used to give a thicker mouthfeel instead of oats?

Add maltodextrin or steep some carapils or other crystal malts.

Crystal malts will add some sweetness and a tiny bit more fermenatble material than the others. Lactose will also give more body and mouthfeel but again more sweetness- not something I'd use here though.

Crystal malt is not out of place in this recipe.

Having just re-read the thread I see you already have some crystal so don't overdo it. I'd suggest carapils rather than maltodextrin (just cos it's prettier and crunchier) but either will probably work. I wouldn't use lactose (mentioned only because I can)

Well, I'm all set to brew this on Friday, so Hopefully I've got it all right.

Thanks for everyones help. :icon_cheers:

Well, I'm all set to brew this on Friday, so Hopefully I've got it all right.

Thanks for everyones help. :icon_cheers:

Good luck mate :drinks:

You've done your homework so I'm sure it'll be great. Let us know how ya go!
Cheers

I agree, don't over think it other than a good clean ferment.

Dextrine malt (carapils) is designed to give mouthfeel, and is usually first port of call for breweries.

Back