Iodophor Laced Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimbymoonshine

Reaction score
Bloody iodophor!

I just realised that I may have tainted one of my beers with iodophor. I was bottling, had clean bottles on the left and filled bottles on the right. I think one of them was not inverted meaning it still had bout 2 inches of iodophor solution sitting in it and in my absent mind, i grabbed the bottle and poked the filling stick in and added it to the filled pile. I just realised after i stashed the beers away that i didnt hear the normal 'clunk and swizzle' of the bottle filler....

So one of my 40 bottles of belgian wit is potentially 20% iodophor solution!!!! The iodophor solution was 1ml/L. so if i had 150ml of this solution in the bottle then topped the rest up with belgian wit, im guessing through dilution i have a 'beer/solution/whatever' of 1ml/4.33L ratio of iodophor to beer.

I dont know which bottle it was and i have 3 housemates who love my beer. So the odds of me getting that bottle are about 1/4. However i also dont wanna make anyone else sick....

What to do? will it be ok? The total volume of iodophor that will be ingested by the mystery drinker will be 0.0975ml.

Will it be perceptible at this concentration? :ph34r: :

Cheers :party:

It probably taste crap so no one is going to get more then a mouthfull.
The chance are its going to be flat anyway. I.e not carbed.....

Iodophor is harmless to humans.

I am sure you will taste it in a wit anyway

Link

Kabooby :)

Hey there!

You have a belgian wit. So celebrate it and use glasses. This will help you findig the special wit, too... ;)

Alex

Good Day
That amount of iodophor should kill the yeast, so the bottle will be flat.

i think the blame should really be directed at yourself rather than the idophor! ;)

Back