Iodine Taste In Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trusty1

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have used Iodophor as a sanitiser for a few brews lately, mixed to instructions (or at least I thought it was) and not rinsed. I tried a beer the other day and found it to have an unpalatable iodine taste :icon_vomit: .

Am I the only bonehead to have ever done this?

Will the taste dissipate over time?

If the iodine taste won't fade it is going on the vegie patch. I have 3 batches affected!

Thanks

At 1ml to one litre of water should not taste iodine. Correctly diluted it should be a pale yellow colour.

I use a medicine measure and make 10 litres at a time 10ml is fairly easy to measure out.

Thanks Tropical Brews,

My main query is do you know if the taste will dissipate having overdosed the iodine?

Thanks

The flavour may dissapear over time as when it's made to the proper dilution it does have a certain shelf life but it may take a very very long time & you may still find the slightest lingering nuance.

Iodine overdose

But on the bright side you won't have iodine deficiency, just read the link regarding overdosing.

<_<

The flavour may dissapear over time as when it's made to the proper dilution it does have a certain shelf life but it may take a very very long time & you may still find the slightest lingering nuance.

Iodine overdose

But on the bright side you won't have iodine deficiency, just read the link regarding overdosing.

<_<

true, I could send it over to the poor souls in Japan!

I think I will make the hard decision and just dump the affected batches, and be more careful with my measuring in future!

Back