Introducing Myself And My Brewing Ways.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave up on the Carbonation (not Carbon!) drops before I started. I decided that, because I'd be drinking them eventually, I would try one. Big mistake! The whole packed had been munched on, and, because I was in the middle of bottling, I didn't want to have to get to the LHBS to get more. Bulk priming is so easy, that it has become a second nature, and there is no worry about under carbonation because of the Sugars. If one is flat, chances are, they're all flat (and vice versa).

As for Carbonation, I leave my beers under the stairs, where it gets no warmer than about 20 degrees. All of my beers have carbonated properly in under two weeks. I wouldn't worry about a heating pad for Carbonating. Don't worry about storage temps - they won't effect your beer. Mine stay under the stairs until they get stuck in the fridge.

Before you get any further, drop in, and see your LHBS. They will be able to provide Maltodextrin, and Dextrose, and also Malt Extracts, which will add flavours and characteristics to your beers that Brewing Sugar and "Brew Enhancer" can't do.

Do you have a Hydrometer? If not get one! Unless you have really fast yeast, you have the potential for making bottle bombs if you leave them to ferment for only 6 days! I leave mine for about a fortnight, and then start to use they Hydrometer again. Wait for three consecutive identical Hydrometer readings before you bottle. See your LHBS for one.

I'm still only relatively new at this game too, but what I know, I am more than happy to share. If you have any other questions, don't forget to ask.

Edit: Do you mean re-hydrating the yeast? If so, I have found that it just makes fermentation start faster. Nothing else - it doesn't effect the taste either way.

1. 6-7 days is fine for Kits.....you could do the whole "test with hydrometer every day untill it becomes low and stable"....but it is just more work and a waste most of the time with kits

2. Stick em in a DARK place for a a few weeks, there are no hard and fast rules...as long as they dont get to hot or see any dayligh

3...Same as 2.....if your place is a constant 15*c then that is close to perfect for storing beer. I actually had to build an insulated brew room with aircon and thermostat to get a nice temp of 18*c for brewing..but that is another story...

And beware.....if you stay on this site to long, you WILL become an AG or stainless steel junkie...and there is no rehab for either of those.... :ph34r:

First of all I will be using Coopers brewing sugar in stead of castor sugar.
if it's not too late already, dont get the coopers brewing sugar; it's basically just overpriced table sugar (or at least that's what the one that came with my original brew kit said on the ingredients). the coopers brew enhancers, on the other hand, are definitely better than your plain sugars. From memory most of the kits had a recommendation on them for which brew enhancer to use (1 or 2... is there a 3 too?), probably as good a place as any to start.

i agree with lucas, but i would even forget brew enhancer 1, just stick with brew enhancer 2... bit more expensive but well worth it for the extra dried malt extract..

Back