Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Turn......Great Thread BTW!

Real name is Dane.

23 years old and lives in 'God's Country' - more commonly know as Sutherland Shire - south of Sydney.

Only started getting into brewering in about October last year. A friend had been given a kit for a pressent and I thought it was a great new hobby.

Was surprised that there wasn't a lof of Australian based brewing sites / forums so this is where the AussieHomeBrewer.com was born. Most sites were US/EU based and if it was an Aussie site the layout/search system wasn't the best.

Usually people start up a website cause they are a pro at it, I was the opposite....I thought I would start this up to get help and make it a good resource for all brewers. (and thanks to the 152 or so memebers at the moment I think that is well and truely happening).

I would like to spend more time on the site developing new section and features but it really depends on how my work load is going...atm I am extremely busy.

I have my own company that does I.T. Consulting, web design, and multimedia productions. I just work for myself so there is always plenty on...

Not Married - long time girlfriend of 5 years. (who lives @ Drummoyne, not to far from Country Brewer :-0 )

Keep them comming guys...

fiscus: I used to live in Engadine..

Fiscus, so you're another from The Shire, I'm at Gymea!

Trev

Good to see big d on this forum he is a big poster on the grumpy site and country brewer.
I also agree with him about grumpys they are good but their master brews i wish they seprated the grain and keeped the hops refridgerated before buying them.

GSRman said:
fiscus: I used to live in Engadine..

Trev said:
Fiscus, so you're another from The Shire, I'm at Gymea!

Trev
Hahhaha good to see we have some shire people on board :)

Well seeing you all know the area, I am @ Lilli Pilli (Caringbah)

Hi All,

Real name is Shawn (and was very surprised that "Gough" spells it the same way)

Been brewing since 96 when I inherited an old kit that my father only used once ... of course I put down a Coopers Lager and 1kg of white sugar and it tasted crap!!!! :D (not going for the plug).

I know many of you personally and I'm sure all would agree that sites like this are invaluable!

Good onya Fiscus
:chug:

Yeah, good on ya, Fiscus. You're a legend for putting this forum together while just starting out in your brewing. I look forward to logging on each morning and talking beer. I luv you guys!

Armstrong,

Wow there's not many of us out there that spell our name Shawn. What were the odds?!? Using my enormous powers of deduction I'm guessing you might be the 'Shawn' who posts/moderates 'another' excellent brewing board. If so, keep up the good work. It has helped me out heaps too!

I'm not in IT either by the way. I work at the Uni up here in Newie when I'm not looking after my 18 month old daughter or trying to find time to brew. Aiming to put one down tonight actually. Can't wait!

Gough

Armstrong said:
Real name is Shawn (and was very surprised that "Gough" spells it the same way)
it's a wonder that one of you guys don't call yourselves 'sheep' :lol:

hey guys, i'm ben.
been brewing for about 3yrs or so, but i've still only done about 8-10 brews, due to my lack of bottles and knowledge of getting a good quality result :rolleyes:

i'd like to get into kegging, but need to set up with a fridge first

anyway i'm 27 living at home with my mum, gone to tafe and went well :(

as you can see above, i have poor sense of humor, and if i can i'll try putting my pic in here for you to see... :blink:

me200x200.JPG

Nice one Indy :) That suggestion's never come up before.... honest :rolleyes:

Does irony work in cyberspace??

Gough

a barmen who used to work at my local was shawn, so i called him sheep, got the idea from some cartoon or something- shawn the sheep :D actually come to think of it i'm pretty sure it was a 'wallace and grommit' episode...

sorry about the pic :p my dad got a digital camera and brought it over...
i was feeling in a stupid mood... :eek:

mmmm.. I'm "Russ" tho' I've been called other things :p

I'm currently an invalid pensioner..
but like Dr Who I've had several other incarnations...
By occupation the main ones have been in telecoms, and printing/binding.
I had a period of uni and then being a "starving artist" between.

I got my first brew kit in 1976 after seeing a mate's efforts brewing in a plastic garbage bin. I made a few brews which seemed "ok" to me then... but "sex drugs n rock'n'roll"
and motorbikes left the brewing behind.

Then the career and family thing kicked-in.. so only a rare couple of brews for "old times sake" during the next 20yrs.
I dug it out again after the breakdown and dissolution of both my marriage and being.. and, I'm sure, it was part of the inspiration I had for starting a new life over..... but back injury shortened that career and prospects too....
just as the rewards were about to flow.

I won't describe the miseries of it, the despair and futility
of the past few years....

BUT THEN .. last year I happened upon the Coopers kits.... :D

I HAD to get one! ..my old tub had finally succumbed to the ravages of the years and turmoil... WOW!! how far homebrew has improved since those heady days of my youth! = from the quality and variety of brewstuffs available, to the wealth of good info and "community" of the web and sites like this!

Homebrewing might not save lives, but I swear to it's theraputic value! -whether it be the dizzying proto-industrial scale like Doc's or the humble kit&kilo.

there's a sense of worth and satisfaction in it and there's the joy of purpose in it, learning and improving...making choices and owning the results in a way that buying "a slab" can never do.

besides which, ....I feel like a good "Guinness"(clone) now
and I'm damnwell gonna have one- 'cos I CAN.. :chug:

oldrusty said:
I won't describe the miseries of it, the despair and futility
of the past few years....
Homebrewing might not save lives...
:huh: wha'cha talkin' 'bout Lewis? well ok it doesn't directly :)

oldrusty said:
there's a sense of worth and satisfaction in it and there's the joy of purpose in it, learning and improving...making choices and owning the results in a way that buying "a slab" can never do.
amen, brother.

ever make it to church on sunday?
10:00 the pub opens... :D

Heheh, well Indy.. I haven't seen the inside of a church in 24yrs, and intend not to... and I haven't had a drink in a pub for about 3 years, at a guess.... but I wouldn't rule that one out in future :D

Thought it was about time to add myslef to this thread!

My name is Chris, I am 22 years old and live in Enfield, Sydney. I am an IT professional (with aspirations of world domination)

I got into brewing about 6 months ago after stumbling upon a never been used "wander" homebrew kit during a council pickup (I wish I got meself a keg fridge now!). Anyways have put down 5 brews so far, with one that I am real proud of. Oh and that fermenter found on the side of the road has now been demoted to a secondary due to the lack of being able to seal properly, soon it will be relegated to ginger beer only as it is so much harder to clean than a pail.

I classsify myself as a complete novice but am looking forward to the many years of brewing ahead of me. Am glad for all the help and assistance this forum has given me so far!

Cheers,
Chris

Hello my name's Dave and I'm brewoholic. It's two days since I pitched my last yeast...

Last year I took 6 month's long service leave and stayed home to look after my spawn (now 3 and 5). I needed a hobby. One day I stood in aisle 9 in Coles with two screaming kids gazing at a fermenter on special. The happy barbecuers on the side of the box blissfully chugged on perfectly-poured frosty glasses of amber nectar. Two weeks later I optimistically sipped at a flat-headed mug of beer-flavoured cider. A few months and brews later I was still making shit (still drinking it because it was wet, alcoholic and when I put them in the frig they got cold) but slowly giving up hope.

The homebrew shop I went to was f useless in giving me any decent information. I just needed someone to tell me "Water, malt, hops, yeast, temperature" and I might have got it right. One bright spring day I accidentally made a good brew with a kilo of dark LME, an ESB Old Ale kit and some fuggles. That was the brew that did it. From my first taste I was hooked and have been brewing madly ever since. I drank the last stubby from that brew a fortnight ago and nearly cried.

Since then I discovered all the good info on the net and started reading forums and recipes... I love brewing. I'm not going to get into all grain or even partial mashes for a while coz I'm making good kit/extract/steep brews. I especially like the grumpys masterbrews because you don't have to know shit to make good beer. It's all in the bag. My favourite so far is the Boston Cream.

Part of what I like about brewing is hanging out on forums. I give my opinion when it's not called for and offer advice when I have no idea. And no-one knows who I am.

I have said too much... :ph34r:

deebee

Welcome to the world of home brewing experts....Brother.

Well it seems were are getting a few grumpys brewers from the grumpys forum.

well grumpies are good but soon i will tell you if jovial monk is better his series two looks beeter than grumpies masterbrews but i agree the boston cream is nice lots of cascade hops

Hi all,

I'm Greg and have got back into homebrew since moving from England. :)

Been brewing again since Crimbo when Santa brought me a Fermenter after my constant bitching about missing my Real Ales.

I've made my first Brakspear Special Ale the other week and am waiting for the weather in Brisbane to get really cold. Then I'll sit outside in a pair of shorts and teeshirt, drink a pint and it will feel like a summers day in pommie land. :p

Seriously though love it out here and have now got the capabilty to make the only thing I missed from the UK

All the best

G'day Spanner. I'm Pete.

I've been brewing for about ten years on and off - mostly on :p . I spent some time in the military before deciding it was worth making a career out of my hobby. I now work at the Country Brewer at Girraween (ex-Prospect). Big Belgian beer fan, brewing mostly from kits with partial mashes and the occasional full mash (time permitting).

Trev: I grew up in Gymea Bay - Coonong Road to be precise - but moved out west when I got married a few years ago. Still love the "old country" though, and passing through the M5 toll gates to visit the old folks seems like crossing a border post :lol: (Dammit! Where did I put my passport?)

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back