Internet speeds. What do you get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Speedtest.net you can get it to output in any units you want. Australian internet is mostly so slow kbps is enough.

bum said:
The one that reports in bits?
I left my last service provider in bits.

(My bad, IT ignoramus, carry on)

Broadband Speed Test Results
Test run on 28/09/2013 @ 06:16 PM
Mirror: Exetel
Data: 19 MB
Test Time: 10.01 secs
Your line speed is 16.17 Mbps (16172 kbps).
Your download speed is 1.97 MB/s (2021 KB/s)

Don't get me started on this Internet connection/reliability,where I am with the service I get is honestly a fkcn joke. It rains the service shits it's self,the sun shines it shits its self, computers etc are not my thing but bugger me in this day and age why can't shit work when you want it to. Ahhh feel better now,time to have a brew. ...cheers...spog....

You could time your AHB outings to clear night forecasts then ...

I have Telstra cable.

Download Speed: 37415 kbps (4676.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1156 kbps (144.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 27 ms
9/29/2013 8:42:29 AM

The other day I was only getting 1.3 mbps with Telstra.

Speedtest.net reported "hosted by Vodfone Hutchison". WTF?

I turned WiFi off on my phone and was getting 5 mbps Aldi wireless (uses Telstra 3G).

Later the landline was up to 5.2 mbps and this time Speedtest reported Telstra out of Sydney.

Seriously thinking of ditching the landline altogether and just using my 5GB Aldi prepaid ($35 a month with unlimited calls) - do me good not to browse video material or watch catchup TV. Save $100 a month.

Bribie G said:
Speedtest.net reported "hosted by Vodfone Hutchison". WTF?
This is almost certainly reporting the ISP at the other end of the test - not your end.

I noticed that today it was reporting another ISP so penny has dropped.

In any case all weekend it's been around 1.3 Megabits per second - I disconnected and switched to Telstra 3g (Aldimobile) and running my home machine off my mobile as hot spot and getting 6 Megabits per second.

If I can't use the ADSL2 to watch catchup TV, play YouTube etc what's the bloody point of paying for 200 GB? It's analogous to sitting on a desert island with thousand dollar KMart voucher, very nice but nowhere to spend it.

I may as well cancel my landline that's only used by telemarketers nowadays, and buy a spare wireless stick to buy a couple if gig in case my Aldi runs out. Screw Telstra.

I'm also going to buy one of those radio things I've heard about (it's like that music and talking thing in the car but you can use it in the house, great concept) and get onto listening to some music and current affairs again, get me off the Internet.

jumped on the NBN earlier this year.... am pretty happy to say the least.. :)

2665992970.png

Hey Bribie

You think a radio is good, wait till you see these things called books....blow your mind

Waiting for the new joint to finish being built, then ADSL1 to NBN... The mind boggles how quick I'll download the important films :)

Not sure....only from others that books are awsome. Never tried one myself. Aparantly they are sold in special shops.

Google may be of assistance

When I was a boy, you didn't even need a computer to read them.

They were made of paper and you went to something called a library to read them. Paper was made from trees.

Latest posts

Back