Interesting Ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onid678

Reaction score
im new to all this home brewing. im green like a germinating malt.

i like Witbier i like the idea of the orange and coriander. thats used.

i have unfortuanely tasted a few berri beers, :blink: not my cup of tea or maybe that should be not my pint of beer.

So i want to know a few other interesting ingredients.

licorice root, oysters in the tub, oatmeal, milk lactose + sugar. coffee, chocolate.

but how about vegetables n other herbs

seeya

Made a k+k wheat beer with banana recently.
Was a great hit on chrissy day. All gone now :angry:

Blackrock wheat beer kit.
1 kg dry un-hopped spray wheat malt.
2 Red tipped organic bananas.

Mixed kit and spray mlt with 2 lt water.
Brought to boil.
Added 2 mashed bananas in hops bag pegged to side of pot.
Boiled gently for 15 min.
Put a bag clip on the hop bag, Tipped into fermenter.
Made up to 20.5 lt.
Added wiezen yeast, Fermented for 2 weeks then kegged.

YUM FROGMAN

As long as it's not poisonous you can use it. I presently have a brown ale that I added coconut & curry powder to. It's surprisingly good. I've tasted beers made with jalapeno and habanero peppers, beets, potatoes, breakfast cereal (cocoa puffs and others), heather tips, mugwort, spruce tips, basil, liqueur (many different varieties), smoked malt, scotch, wine/port, bread & buns, chocolate, vanilla, beers that have been deliberately infected with bacteria and wild yeast.......the list goes on. Like I said, if it's not poisonous, go for it. Let your imagination run wild.

there is aalso a thread that dfiscusses wormwood. purely for medicinal purposes of course and in countries that allow such a use ;) just have a search.

has anyone tried hooch in there beer if so did u dry hop or boil it was it leaf or bud & what quantity ?

Stinging Nettles

Bizarrely - the beer tasted like sh*t - but when made into a shandy was palatable.

RM

So i want to know a few other interesting ingredients.

licorice root, oysters in the tub, oatmeal, milk lactose + sugar. coffee, chocolate.

but how about vegetables n other herbs

seeya

A bloke in the Brew club here has used, vegemite, peanut butter, lemon grass and chilli to name a few :wacko: Guess what! The flavours do come through.

BYB

I've done a chocolate/oatmeal/expresso stout with chilli as a self-heating part, that was well received by everyone (except Ross :))
Just put down #2 of a Acerola (Barbados) Cherry Pale ale batch in keg and Champers bottles, and will be doing a Rosella Wit as soon as I can source some (can't find my seeds!!). Ross has got me addicted to putting bananas into hefes as well. If I grow it, I'll chuck some in a beer if I think it will work, ie botanicals in a Belgian Ale for example. Pushing boundaries and experimenting is part of the fun, just like cooking really. B)
Dunno if pineapple lager is a good idea though Screwy.

I've used chamomile tea in a Wit.

Scott

There are five interesting ingredients I like to use:

Water
Grain
Hops
Yeast
Sugar

The amount of variation and the number of flavours that can be obtained with them is astounding. Try them, you won't be disappointed.

there is aalso a thread that dfiscusses wormwood. purely for medicinal purposes of course and in countries that allow such a use ;) just have a search.

see this thread and check out Temple of Seths posts re sourcing hard to find herbs

I've never been convinced that fruit infused beers are worthwhile. Only because I haven't had any that knocked my socks off.
IMHO (and probably relatively uninformed opion - PRUIO? :p ) the fruits that are selected are too strong as a fruit.
I have this theory that Quince could be a worthy infusion, because it's not as strong as orange or a berry.
That said, we're currently growing a feijoa and I just want to have a crack at infusion down the track. It will taste something like sarsparilla and cough-medicine. :icon_vomit:

I've never been convinced that fruit infused beers are worthwhile. Only because I haven't had any that knocked my socks off.
IMHO (and probably relatively uninformed opion - PRUIO? :p ) the fruits that are selected are too strong as a fruit.
I have this theory that Quince could be a worthy infusion, because it's not as strong as orange or a berry.
That said, we're currently growing a feijoa and I just want to have a crack at infusion down the track. It will taste something like sarsparilla and cough-medicine. :icon_vomit:

A lot of AHB members swear by a good fruit beer. BConnery has done quite a few and Im dead keen to try them. They have gotten some great reviews. Likewise I think Doc and a few others have done fruit beers with great success. Have a look around and see if you like the sound of one and give it a go. They are usualy a hit with the ladies if nothing else.

hmmm quince paste and smelly aged cheese. yum. maybe a quince and feijoa beer? very tropical. I think the key to a good fruit beer is to have a solid base on which to work on. not that I can give you any advice on that front...

a hint of lemongrass in a nice dry beer (CAP with rice in it) works wonders i reckon. quite a popular beer with joe public as well.

Latest posts

Back