Interest In A Scotch Ale Competition At Geelong Highland Gathering?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in 2011?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Next year onwards

• Total voters

fraser_john

Go Pies
Reaction score
I am on the executive committee of the Geelong Highland Gathering Association, I have suggested to the committee that maybe we have a Scotch Ale Competition as part of the day. This would cover BJCP classes 9A, B, C & D only. This would be a pretty basic competition to start with this year and maybe grow into a bigger one if it worked out.

Gathering date is 20th March, so we are cutting it fine. Given this, how much interest would there be out there in the brewing community? I can then use this interest to push for the competition at the next executive meeting on the 12th January.

I would be able to collect entries in the Melbourne CBD area (King St/Collins St).

Ive got a little bit left of an 80/- I brewed a few months back for the ANHC. Will be able to enter that.

I'd be up for it. How long do people normally age these beers for before drinking?

I'd be up for it. How long do people normally age these beers for before drinking?
The longer the better. I've heard that there's a phenolic that Scottish yeast strains throw off that develops character in the beer over time. It gives it a smokey sort of character.

Wont take it any more OT but cheers Siborg, something to look up on, never heard or read that before.

I am on the executive committee of the Geelong Highland Gathering Association, I have suggested to the committee that maybe we have a Scotch Ale Competition as part of the day. This would cover BJCP classes 9A, B, C & D only. This would be a pretty basic competition to start with this year and maybe grow into a bigger one if it worked out.

Gathering date is 20th March, so we are cutting it fine. Given this, how much interest would there be out there in the brewing community? I can then use this interest to push for the competition at the next executive meeting on the 12th January.

I would be able to collect entries in the Melbourne CBD area (King St/Collins St).

Always wondered about that gathering since we moved down to Geelong. I'd be happy to make something, never done a scotch ale before though so I can't guarantee the judges palates will be pleased lol.

James

I'd be keen to join in the fun. Maybe a Haggis for the winner?

Just got my first 60/- in the keg so I'd be keen to enter. Should be getting pretty good by march!

For sure...love scotch ales.. Has it got the go ahead? I'd better get crackin for March. I'll brew one regardless.

Latest posts

Back