Installing A Fridgemate In A F&p Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matr

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have just finished my 2nd install of a Fridge Mate into a F&P chest freezer. This one was a 164L the previous one was a 215L slim line.

I took some photos of the 2nd install so I could post here as a help to others. The way I wire it uses the exisiting power cord.

It is wired differently to the drawing supplied but it works so hey...

DISCLAIMER: I am not a sparky so if you're not sure don't do it. However my freezers are running fine as did my previous one for approx 2 years.

If you want any additional clarification let me know.

Cheers, Mat.

View attachment How_to_Install_a_Fridgemate_to_an_F_P_freezer.pdf

What advantage do you see of doing it this way compared to wiring the controller onto an extension cord and then plugging the fridge's power cord into that?

What advantage do you see of doing it this way compared to wiring the controller onto an extension cord and then plugging the fridge's power cord into that?

It's neater.. Where do you put the unit when you do it that way? From what I've seen it's usually in a box sitting on top of the freezer.

I must admit, it is quite neat.... Although my setup is in the shed, and if my fridgmate was installed that neatly, it wouldnt fit in with the rest of the shed/brewery :D

Fair enough, it is neater.
However (the way I use mine) it seems to trade looks for function, and looking good is not a high priority for my fermentation fridges.

The main thing i like about the way my (and presumably yours Wolfy) is they are removable. If for some reason my fridge went boom, i could simply d/c the unit and put it straight onto my new fridge/freezer....

Looking good is not a priority to my ferm fridge either, nor my shed for that matter ;) But the fridge is clean where it counts, On the inside...

Yep this is definitely not a solution if you need it to be portable.

It would only take me a minute to remove though. The one in the pics is a fermenting fridge. The previous 215L I did is getting built into a keg fridge so I wanted a neat fit.

I didn't check your diagram, but when I did this to a f&p freezer I hard wired it bypassing the in built thermostat. I did this because I accidentally broke the temp probe wire to the freezers thermostat.

It's a pretty good way to do it. Only problem would be if the fridgemates temp probe was accidentally left out of the freezer (not really possible the way I've done it) the freezers compressor would run constantly, which would obviously be a nightmare.

Don't need a heater. It's mainly for summer so I can keep brewing or to brew lagers in. Currently in winter I can brew in the house @ 18 / 20C.

Back