Inkbird IPB-16 controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trq

Reaction score
Just recently (have done one brew) started playing around with a makeshift herms setup using my old copper chiller as the coil. Brewday didn't go too bad, accept I had no way to automate the control of my HLT temperature.

Initially I had planned on using my Inkbird ITC-308 which I normally use to control my fermentation fridge, however, apparently it doesn't really output enough power to supply the 2400W element that is in my HLT. I found this out while attempting to heat my water. It just wouldn't get past about 45°C

So... the search has began. I need to find a cheap controller, something that I can use just for my HLT, and maybe my pump if available. I've been really happy with the Inkbird stuff, so thought I'd start there, and what do you know? I stumbled across the IPB-16. Looks great.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Know if it will be sufficient to supply power to a 2400w element? Also, I can't seem to find one with connections made for Aus. Is this going to be ok with a couple of adapters?

Basically looking for anyone that has used one of these for something similar, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

The controller is only turning the power on and off to the element via a relay, you can change the controller but you're still going to have the same power and element. Could be how you are measuring the temp, the controller isn't calibrated, your element is no good or just under powered for how much water you are trying to heat.

I've personally had 4 of the itc-308 and none of them could hold fermentation temp so i wouldn't recommend anything from them to be honest. Having said that you're better off with a pid based controller. Look up auber instruments.

> The controller is only turning the power on and off to the element via a relay

Are you sure about that? I know the element was on (via the controller), because I could see the bubbles forming on it and it was producing some heat, it just seemed under powered while connected to the controller.

If I plug the element directly into the wall there is no issue, that same element can get me up to temp without issue.

> I've personally had 4 of the itc-308 and none of them could hold fermentation temp

Mine has been fine for fermentation, no issues.

> Having said that you're better off with a pid based controller. Look up auber instruments.

That is what this post is about. The IPB-16 houses a PID.

Should be fine - says it has an inbuilt ssr and can handle 12A output @ 240v which is 2880 watts (and beyond the max amp rating for an individual GPO).

Now whether the same models have a global power supply or not I'm not sure. If they do then you could, I suppose, rewire the plug and use some travel adapters for the sockets as long as they are rated for 10A continuous use. Or pull it apart and replace the sockets as well if so inclined.

Another more technical but maybe better approach would be to buy a smartpid and build your own enclosure.

Disclaimer: I'm not a sparky so take all this as a point of view and not advice. Always get a qualified sparky to do all work or at least check it over before you use it. :D

Thanks Wobbly

> Now whether the same models have a global power supply or not I'm not sure.

they just got back to me about this, and they don't.

> Another more technical but maybe better approach would be to buy a smartpid and build your own enclosure.

Looks like I am actually going to go down this path. The father in law is/was a sparky so... I'll get him to help.

I do already have some gear here from a bourduino build I bought not so long ago, the thing is pretty much ready to go, just needs a few small adjustments and to be checked over.

Latest posts

Back