Information On Scaling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanetoad23

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just need some information on scaling down a recipe from 23lt to 15lt. The smaller batch size will suit a few recipes that I wanted to try and will also suit the equipment I currently have. I know there are plenty of articles out there but can someone point me to a guide if there is one?

Or am I true in thinking that if I want to scale from 23lt to 15lt I just have to scale everything (including hops) by this ratio, but the time remains the same?

Thanks

Mark

Download Brewmate it is free (donation happily accepted of course) and it will do it all for you.

:icon_chickcheers:

Hi All,

I just need some information on scaling down a recipe from 23lt to 15lt. The smaller batch size will suit a few recipes that I wanted to try and will also suit the equipment I currently have. I know there are plenty of articles out there but can someone point me to a guide if there is one?

Or am I true in thinking that if I want to scale from 23lt to 15lt I just have to scale everything (including hops) by this ratio, but the time remains the same?

Thanks

Mark

Yep, that is how I do it. Still boil for normal time. The only issue you may run in to is enhanced boil off due to the smaller volume of liquid (i.e larger surface area to volume ratio)

Yep, that is how I do it. Still boil for normal time. The only issue you may run in to is enhanced boil off due to the smaller volume of liquid (i.e larger surface area to volume ratio)

Would that just mean that you would have to top up with more water when it goes into the fermenter?

You can add water to bring up your volume, just be careful what water you use. Bottled water or boiled water, this will reduce the chance of infection.

I gave you a link to Brewmate earlier, just use that as it will make all the calculations for you and has other tools for diluting etc.

If you just top your fermenter up with water you will change the profile. If you use Brewmate (or other software of course) this will tell you the adjustments you need to make so you get your desired outcome.

Would that just mean that you would have to top up with more water when it goes into the fermenter?

Download brew mate as suggest by amber fluid and it will give you all your adjustments.

Boil off isn't an issue, you may just end up with slightly higher OG than intended and a little less volume. If you keep accurate pre and post boil records you can work out how much boil off you get and can adjust accordingly next time. All part of the fun.

JD

I gave you a link to Brewmate earlier, just use that as it will make all the calculations for you and has other tools for diluting etc.

If you just top your fermenter up with water you will change the profile. If you use Brewmate (or other software of course) this will tell you the adjustments you need to make so you get your desired outcome.

Thanks Amber Fluid, I downloaded Brewmate.

Wish I had grabbed it before I stuffed around with Beersmith. It seems a lot easier to use but my previous experience with Beersmith made me a bit hesitant to use another program. Will give it a go and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is I make beer!

You can add water to bring up your volume, just be careful what water you use. Bottled water or boiled water, this will reduce the chance of infection.

Que? If there is enough bacteria to infect a brew from your normal drinking water you'll be pretty Damm sick from drinking it prior to making beer.

Scaling is easy, trying to flavor match is the fun part!

Que? If there is enough bacteria to infect a brew from your normal drinking water you'll be pretty Damm sick from drinking it prior to making beer.

Scaling is easy, trying to flavor match is the fun part!

When I lived in India I drank the tap water. Makes me sad to hear of people freaking out about Australian water quality.

First world (non-existant) problem.

Thanks Amber Fluid, I downloaded Brewmate.

Wish I had grabbed it before I stuffed around with Beersmith. It seems a lot easier to use but my previous experience with Beersmith made me a bit hesitant to use another program. Will give it a go and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is I make beer!

Yeah I have had a look at Beersmith but didn't like it as there was too much irrelevant crap there for my use and I actually felt intimidated by it. I love Brewmate, it has all I need and is simple to use/learn. It is also developed by a member of AHB who I am glad to support. That reminds me, I must swing a donation his way as I believe he currently has plans in the mist of developing an Android version.... woohhoo!!

That reminds me, I must swing a donation his way as I believe he currently has plans in the mist of developing an Android version.... woohhoo!!

Now that would be rad.

Have just recently purchased a samsung galaxy 2 7.0 tablet as i was interested in seeing how the android world works. So far liking it a lot.

If i could get Brewmate onto that *******, that make an awesome little brewday companion.
I have an ipad with BS lite on it, and i know Brad is working on a full version for it, but sometimes i don't want or need all its features and complexity.

Brewmate would be awesome on a little tablet!

Yeah I am looking forward to it too. Apparently the developers are working on it at the moment. Well that was the message I received last December. Nevertheless, I really hope I am not speaking out of turn here and do apologise if I am.

As log as the tap water is ok, it should be fine. When i was doing kits I'd just boil 2L with the can of goop and top up to 23L with tap water. Never had a problem.

Back