Info On Hop Growing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all that guys. I am reading the online book now and it does seem a good starting point for a newbie like me.

I realise I have probably missed the boat for this year but wonder if it is still worth getting some to get em in the ground for next year or should I just wait and plant in Septemberish next year?

We need somebody to go to the states and smuggle some amarillo rhyzomes in a body cavity. Ouch, they are probably not the ideal shape for that :eek:
Henno,

You can definitely plant now, I have found the cones tend to appear later than usual and it dies back later as well. If you plant very late in the summer, the plant will still grow but wont produce any cones. However your rhizome will grow much larger for a good size crop for next season.

I have a few small 'growing' rhizomes left, mainly Cascade, Goldings and a few others. Can express mail these to eastern states quite cheaply because they will fit in a Mailing Satchel. Note these are NOT rooted cuttings, they are the same as these I sold on eBay recently (scroll down to the bottom to see): Small 'growing' rhizomes. $40 on eBay ...would be less than $25 for you :)

The grower who bred the Amarillo cultivar in the states, has a patent on them, so it would be illegal for anyone else to grow for them for the duration of that patent. He can choose to licence someone else to grow them, but he has not done this. I have heard his hop farm is heavily guarded. If you manage to get in there to sneak one out ...keep an eye out for the pit bull terriers!

Rupert.

This planting with a 'southerly aspect' has me a bit intrigued. Can I put them on a trellis out in the open facing east-west so they get sun all day? I know I am a bit far north to get the best crop yield off them but in Central Queensland the sun is bloody hot in the middle of the day. I have a tall kind of hedge of trees that faces east west on one boundary and if I planted them along that they would be in the shade for the morning sun through to about midday.

Also I have two sheets of steel reo that are about 6m by 3m I guess. How would they go as a trellis if I propped them up on a couple of poles or even leant them against a gum tree?

Latest posts

Back