Infection Overrun?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizensnips

Reaction score
Brewed up a stout with an OG of :1.070. Pitched the yeast a few hours after brewing in order to get it to pitching temps. Didn't see action until about 24hours later when the airlock started bubbling.....was very little krausen so thought I better inspect. There was areas of what looked to be krausen floating on the surface with visible and audible fermentation taking place. Thought maybe it's something to do with the wort or perhaps the oats in the grist that has caused this lack of krausen. This continued on for about 24 hours or even a little longer until this morning I woke to see a monster layer of krausen on the top. Now I wouldn't of thought much of this hadn't it been for a little sample that was still sitting in a glass I had used for a hydro (due to leaving my good hydro at a mates place). This glass had the exact same layer on top and was making the same fermentation fizzy noise.....now I'm wondering if this is an infection that was in the fermenter and has now combined with the slow us-05 that always seems to take its sweet ass time to kick off. For the record the sample was drawn off virtually just after I pitched the yeast (wasn't stirred) so I find it hard to think that yeast floated down to the tap in a matter of a minute or so. Also on a positive note the glass with the weird fermentation does smell fine...quite nice, a bit bready and malty.
I'm wanting to know on the off chance if anyone has any experience of krausen formation or just a similar occurrence? Or more than likely it's a taste and see how she goes scenario.
Cheers

Wild yeast is everywhere and I would say that is what is fermenting what's in the glass but I wouldn't be to worried about what's in the fermenter I have had many brews with only small krausens and have turned out fine. Only time will tell, I would just relax and assume a is well

I've had hydro samples go nuts after sampling post pitching. Nothing you've said points to infection to me. Sounds like a normal looking krausen and you've not mentioned any bad tastes/smells.

Back